The Shadows in South Africa 1961

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows in South Africa 1961

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:09 am

Just in case anyone missed it - in last month's issue (No. 425 October) of Guitarist mag they are celebrating 60 years of Vox.(guitars and amps). Probably nothing new to members of this forum (although Hank is interviewed) but all featuring lovely photos of old gear.

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Didier » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 am

cockroach wrote:
JimN wrote:And of course, Jet used a Leak amplifier in the studio (possibly the one used later by Paul McCartney)

In Mike Read's book, Jet's big speaker box built by Pepe Rush was said to have been powered by a 30 watt amp..whether it was a Leak is not stated, but it might be likely that Jet owned the rig - speaker and amp head (or it was bought by the Shads management for him to upgrade from his small Selmer).

From what I've read McCartney used a Tannoy speaker and amp unit both owned by EMI at Abbey Road, which was about 2-3 years later, and probably not Jet's gear.

You can seet it there :

The huge cabinet behind Jet probably contains a 15" Tannoy speaker (as generally used in Abbey Road), and the amp on the floor is a Leak TL25 (or TL12 ?) with matching preamp. Of course this was used in Abbey Road only, not on stage.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby cockroach » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Well in the Pepe Rush interview , he says he didn't build Jet an amp..

Maybe it's a furphy in Mo Foster's book 17 Watts?..
If so, maybe the rig Jet is using at Abbey Rd in that pic is the same setup (or similar) to which Paul McCartney used when recording the early Beatles stuff..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Patrice » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I just want to add that:
In the book : "Recording The Beatles", we can read that, for the Beatles and during 1962 until Mars 63, Paul Mc Cartney used for recording in the studio 2 of Abbey Road:
A Leak point One Preamp + a Leak TL-12 Plus amplifier + a Tannoy Dual concentric 15inches speaker + cabinet.

No doubt for my own (!) that it's exactly the same stuff that Jet used in this same studio 2, a couple of years before, and as shown on this picture posted by (my friend ;) Didier.
So : A Tannoy cabinet fitted with a 15inches loudspeaker and not (?) a cabinet made eventually by Pepe Rush...

Now and about a possible picture of Cliff and the Shadows taken in March 61 in Johannesburg... ;)
At this time it's seemed that it was "Irene Bester" who were the "president" of the South Africa Cliff and the Shadows fan club.
1) I have a picture of this lady taken in 63 with Hank and Bruce...
2) I have also a picture taken (may be ?!!! = not totally sure !) but with "this" credit ... on the stage of the Colisseum in Johannesburg in 61, by Irene, ou by an other fan ?

My main problem for instance it's, for me... to know the process for posting these pictures "here" ! :roll:
Didier tried (in french !!!) to explain me... but !!!

Si tu peux me re-préciser la marche à suivre Didier merci !
Car je ne comprends pas cette histoire "d'adresse" de la photo à insérer entre les deux "img"...
Elle n'a pas d'adresse puisqu'elle est dans mon ordi !

Best regards from France
Patrice
Patrice

Full Real Name: Patrice Bastien

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Patrice wrote:In the book : "Recording The Beatles", we can read that, for the Beatles and during 1962 until Mars 63, Paul Mc Cartney used for recording in the studio 2 of Abbey Road:
A Leak point One Preamp + a Leak TL-12 Plus amplifier + a Tannoy Dual concentric 15inches speaker + cabinet.

No doubt for my own (!) that it's exactly the same stuff that Jet used in this same studio 2, a couple of years before ...

I agree. And given that Brian is at the drum kit, the picture could have been taken only a year before
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Didier » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Patrice wrote:Now and about a possible picture of Cliff and the Shadows taken in March 61 in Johannesburg... ;)
At this time it's seemed that it was "Irene Bester" who were the "president" of the South Africa Cliff and the Shadows fan club.
1) I have a picture of this lady taken in 63 with Hank and Bruce...
2) I have also a picture taken (may be ?!!! = not totally sure !) but with "this" credit ... on the stage of the Colisseum in Johannesburg in 61, by Irene, ou by an other fan ?

My main problem for instance it's, for me... to know the process for posting these pictures "here" ! :roll:
Didier tried (in french !!!) to explain me... but !!!

Here is the pic :

Didier
Didier

Postby Didier » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Patrice wrote:I just want to add that:
In the book : "Recording The Beatles", we can read that, for the Beatles and during 1962 until Mars 63, Paul Mc Cartney used for recording in the studio 2 of Abbey Road:

Here is the amp used by Jet Harris in Abbey Road :

And a Leak TL12 :

Obvioulsy the one Jet used in Abbey Road is a TL12, not a TL25 as often stated, the TL25 didn't have such a matching preamp.

Didier
Didier

Postby Didier » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Patrice wrote:Si tu peux me re-préciser la marche à suivre Didier merci !
Car je ne comprends pas cette histoire "d'adresse" de la photo à insérer entre les deux "img"...
Elle n'a pas d'adresse puisqu'elle est dans mon ordi !

Patrice,
Il faut passer par un site de stockage de photos, avant j'utilisais Photobucket, mais il est devenu payant à un tarif dissuasif, maintenant j'utilise Google Photo. Une fois la phot stockée, il suffit de récupérer son url pour pouvoir l'intégrer.

Didier
Didier

Postby JimN » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Do a screen grab and save the resultant image files to www.imgbb.com (or similar)?

If you have Windows 10, the "Snipping Tool" app is very useful and fast at copying whatever you can see on screen.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bor64 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:58 am

Can't see the SA and the amp pic's Didier posted...

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows