Thunderbirds are go!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Thunderbirds are go!

Postby Mike Honey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Just watched Thunderbirds, (with my grandkids), and Cliff and the Shads were on (well puppets but the soundtrack was them!) singing 'shooting star' was this ever released?

mike
Mike Honey

Re: Thunderbirds are go!

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:58 pm

I noticed that "Thunderbirds Are Go!" was on one of the digital channels yesterday.

Yes - the film was released on a VHS cassette about twenty years ago and on a DVD more recently than that.

You can get it on DVD for less than £5:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderbirds-Are-Thunderbird-Six-DVD/dp/B00028HCGU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263041840&sr=1-4

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mike Honey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:12 pm

er sorry. i meant the song! i've never heard it before. liked the hank puppet with the hornrim specs!

mike
Mike Honey

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Mike Honey wrote:er sorry. i meant the song! i've never heard it before. liked the hank puppet with the hornrim specs!
mike

Hi, Mike,

The songs from the film (Shooting Star and Lady Penelope) were released at the time (1966) together with The Shadows' versions of two other pieces from the film (Thunderbirds Theme and Zero X Theme) on a Columbia label EP called (appropriately enough): "Thunderbirds Are Go!". It is, however, regarded as a fairly rare item by Shadows collectors.

As it happens, I have recently uploaded thirty Shadows EP covers to this site, and you can see the front cover of the Thunderbirds EP at:

http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=588

And the rear of the sleeve at:

http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=589

The three purely Shadows tracks from that EP have been re-released several times over the years on various LPs and CDs, though the song Shooting Star has not been as frequently re-packaged. It was made available on the double-CD "Cliff At The Movies" a few years ago (now apparently unavailable), but the track is available as a download (89p) at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shooting-Star-1996-Digital-Remaster/dp/B001KNMCSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1263044384&sr=8-2-catcorr

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

JN
Last edited by JimN on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mike Honey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Thats Brilliant Jim. I admire your knowledge!!Its surprising that just when you think you've heard everything they've done, along comes something you never have. I must have had a sheltered life!!!

mike
Mike Honey

Postby Mike Honey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

So does anyone know what happened to the puppets? Are they still around?

mike
Mike Honey

Postby gogarrio » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Where did I read that Brian Bennett still has his "Thunderbirds Are Go!" puppet?
gogarrio

Postby Sleepwalker63 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 am

I've got "Lady Penelope", "Zero X. Theme", and "Thunderbirds Theme" on the "Rarities" LP from the 70's (EMI Catalogue no. "NUT 2").
Sleepwalker63

Postby The Badge Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 am

If Brian has his "Thunderbirds are Go" Puppet do we know what happened to the other Puppets.

Eric
The Badge Man

Postby RayL » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 am

do we know what happened to the other Puppets.

Last seen busking outside Wembley Arena on the recent tour (they collected eighteen shillings and sevenpence). Now back in retirement on Tracy Island.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Next

Return to The Shadows