Marvin & Farrar in Birmingham (20. August 1974)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin & Farrar in Birmingham (20. August 1974)

Postby UlrichS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi all,

I have received a tape copy of a Hank Marvin & John Farrar concert which took place on 20. August 1974 in Birmingham.

The line-up: Hank Marvin (g, v), John Farrar (g, v), Mo Foster (bg), Andrew Steele (drms) and Pat Carroll (syn, v), as introduced by Hank during the concert.

The set list is: Keep The Customer Satisfied - Lonesome Mole - Wonderful Land - Music Makes My Day - Marmaduke - Turn Around And Touch Me - The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt - Sleepwalk - Willie & The Hand Jive (Pat vocals) - Apache - F.B.I. Lucille/Rip It Up/Blue Suede Shoes

Unfortunately the condition is rather poor, especially as the recording also includes some chatter in the dressing room after the show.

On the tape box "Bayley's Club" is noted as the location. I have tried to find out more about this club, without success. Can anybody confirm this location? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Re: Marvin & Farrar in Birmingham (20. August 1974)

Postby Unsospero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi
I can't remember a Bayley's night club in Birmingham in the 70's. I saw Marvin Welch & Farrar at the La Dolcia Vita in Birmingham a couple of times prior to 1974.

I have a vague recollection that Bayley's is one of the Northern night clubs and if so I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm which city it's in and I'm sure MW& F & M&F would have done the club the club circuits including the Fiesta I think in Sheffield.

Hope this might help a little.

Graham
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby alewis41 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm

I believe it was "Batley Variety Club" not Bayleys.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby JimN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:06 pm

That line-up did a week at Bailey's Night Club in Liverpool in 1974. I was there.

I would love to be allowed to try cleaning up a digital dub from the cassette. I even have an idea of who recorded the performance...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby UlrichS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Unsospero wrote:Hi
I can't remember a Bayley's night club in Birmingham in the 70's. I saw Marvin Welch & Farrar at the La Dolcia Vita in Birmingham a couple of times prior to 1974.

I have a vague recollection that Bayley's is one of the Northern night clubs and if so I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm which city it's in and I'm sure MW& F & M&F would have done the club the club circuits including the Fiesta I think in Sheffield.

Graham

Graham,
That is just my problem that I could not find a Bailey's (sorry for the spelling error) in Birmingham. Marvin & Farrar were at the La Dolce Vita Birmingham the following days:
1973-08-21 t01.jpg
1973-08-21 t01.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 10371 times

It looked somewhat strange to me that they should have changed the place in the same town on following days.

alewis41 wrote:I believe it was "Batley Variety Club" not Bayleys.

Andrew
[attachment=0]

Andrew,
The Batley Variety Club is located in Batley not in Birmingham.

JimN wrote:That line-up did a week at Bailey's Night Club in Liverpool in 1974. I was there.

Jim,
You are probably right. But could it also have been in one of the other Bailey's Night Clubs (Leicester, Sheffield, Hull, Watford, Derby, ...)? I'll pm you

Many thanks to all of you and best wishes,

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Unsospero wrote:Hi

Graham

The Dolce Vita and The Cavendish were both Bailey's night clubs in Birmingham. The acts were on the bill for a week at a time and would 'double' the two clubs. The top of the bill would be at The Cavendish at Yardley at 10pm, appearing at the Dolce Vita in Birmingham city centre at midnight. I did the entire Bailey circuit a dozen or more times, including clubs in Newcastle, Sunderland, South Shields, Stockton, Billingham, Sheffield, Barnsley, Blackburn, Liverpool, Leicester, Watford as well as the two in Birmingham. There may have been others but if there are more, they escape me for now.
Marvin and Farrar didn't play Batley, but they did play Wakefield Theatre Club. At Batley Variety Club it was MWF with Olivia Newton John at a different time. I know because I was there. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 pm

alewis41 wrote:I believe it was "Batley Variety Club" not Bayleys.

Andrew

Two different venues.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Unsospero » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Ah such memories.

By the first time I saw MW&F at the La Dalcia Vita they had already endured the now famous quote of "walked off to our own footsteps". I've always thought they were fantastic and remember seeing the cover of their first album in the local record shop prior to it's release, I couldn't wait for pay day to come along.
Anyhow, their bad fortune at getting such a cool initial response meant that by the time they got to Birmingham they'd introduced a few Shads numbers into the act which meant that Dance On become the first Shads tune I heard played live. I even sneaked back stage (except it was side stage) and got to say hi to them. I was of course too star struck to say or ask anything meaningful. I was 19/20 at the time.

Graham
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby neil2726 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:55 pm

There was a Baileys night club in Hanley also. Now a Bingo club!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby manofmystery » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 pm

I Went to see Marvin and Farrar at Baileys in Hull in 1974. Went backstage and got to meet them both. They came on stage around 11:30pm and did around an hour spot. Splashed out on some food while waiting to see them. I think it cost around £1 to see Hank and John and as can be seen from the menu, the food cost more!
Attachments
Baileys Menu.jpg
(296.6 KiB) Downloaded 8721 times
manofmystery

Full Real Name: Paul Wray

Next

Return to The Shadows