High Heeled Sneakers

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: High Heeled Sneaker

Postby drakula63 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Fenderman wrote:I still feel Shades of rock was a lost opportunity, we all know The Shads can play excellent rock and roll, sadly this wasn't it.

Shades of Rock is an underrated album. Yes, it does seem to lean more towards Motown than Rock, but the performances of Marvin, Bennett, Hawkshaw, Rostill and friends are all top notch... indeed, I'd say that this album contains some of Brian's most distinctive and impressive playing.

The fact that it was probably put together in a bit of a hurry (I doubt that they entered the '70s expecting to be recording again as The Shadows) accounts for the track listing comprising solely covers. I'll concede that a few original tunes would have been nice, but they probably had neither the time nor the inclination to start composing at such short notice.

When I first heard the album - about 1981 - I was very unsure about it. Now... it's one of my favourites! If anything, I'd say that the 'lost opportunity' was not following it up with another one in, say, 1971. But then we wouldn't have got Marvin, Welch and Farrar and that would have been a shame.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Uncleboko » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:56 pm

UlrichS wrote:
Uncleboko wrote:
UlrichS wrote:
Hi Heel Sneakers.jpg

No it's a completely different version whatever it says on the notes - have a listen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkat8triivrvz ... 9.mp3?dl=0

and in any case, there was never an audience on Saturday Club. It was most likely from Easy Beat, Joe Loss Show or similar which did have an audience.

I agree that the audience 'noise' is unusual for Saturday Club recordings and it surprised me, too.
However, the dropbox track is exactly the one from the CD. Quite confusing.
What I found out about Stones BBC recordings of 'Hi Heel Sneakers' is
8 April 1964 - 'Ready Steady Go Mod Ball' (TV from Empire Pool, Wembley) - playback
10 April 1964 - 'Joe Loss Show'
18 April 1964 - 'Saturday Club'
9 May 1964 - ''Open House' (TV Riverside Studios)
25 May 1964 - 'Top Beat Pop Prom' (TV Royal Albert Hall)
The track from the CD might origin from the Joe Loss Show.

Apologies for hi-jacking this Shadows thread.

And apologies from me for hi-jacking this Shadows thread too!
Yes I have an mp3 version of the CD from *******bay!!! Many thanks for that info, I have various Stones BBC Session bootlegs which I'll trawl through at the weekend to try and solve this mystery.
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby iefje » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:04 pm

drakula63 wrote:
Fenderman wrote:I still feel Shades of rock was a lost opportunity, we all know The Shads can play excellent rock and roll, sadly this wasn't it.

Shades of Rock is an underrated album. Yes, it does seem to lean more towards Motown than Rock, but the performances of Marvin, Bennett, Hawkshaw, Rostill and friends are all top notch... indeed, I'd say that this album contains some of Brian's most distinctive and impressive playing.

The fact that it was probably put together in a bit of a hurry (I doubt that they entered the '70s expecting to be recording again as The Shadows) accounts for the track listing comprising solely covers. I'll concede that a few original tunes would have been nice, but they probably had neither the time nor the inclination to start composing at such short notice.

When I first heard the album - about 1981 - I was very unsure about it. Now... it's one of my favourites! If anything, I'd say that the 'lost opportunity' was not following it up with another one in, say, 1971. But then we wouldn't have got Marvin, Welch and Farrar and that would have been a shame.

I understand it also was a contract fulfilment. I agree it is somewhat different sounding, compared to "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John" and also the Cliff Richard & The Shadows album "Established 1958", but I really like it. "Shades Of Rock" is quite heavy in places, but I don't think that's a bad thing.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: High Heeled Sneakers

Postby MartcasterJunior » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

What always surprises me about Shades Of Rock, if it was indeed a contractual-obligation album coming off the back of the loss of a key band member, is the level of effort put into the arrangements. They could have just done fairly 'straight' covers of the tracks in question but a lot of them have obviously had time and thought put into the arrangements (way more than some of the 80s covers ever did). I think the first 8 bars of Proud Mary are a fantastic album opener and Paperback Writer is really...weird, but in a good way. They clearly weren't just bashing it out to fulfill their obligations and move on. I wonder what the feeling was within the band at the time?
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 pm

In interviews that I did with Hank, he made it clear that the Shads split at the end of 1968 because they were literally 'burnt out'. They had planned to take a short break and then re- convene. Bruce had already called it a day. Apparently, after 2 months break, both Hank and Brian realised (at that point)that they had had enough. John Rostill was the one who wanted to continue. Meanwhile, Hank (unplanned ) was given the opportunity to record a solo LP. He was keen to experiment with different guitar sounds. Meanwhile, Hank freely admits that they did the short tour of Japan (plus the live album) purely for the money. Despite what any fans might think - none of them were impressed (themselves) with the ensuing album. There were no long-term plans to re - form the Shads on any long- term basis (Which is why John Rostill joined Tom Jones - and also allowed M, W & F to develop). "Shades Of Rock" was marketed under the Shadows name purely for commercial purposes. The group themselves saw it as an opportunity to do something radically different. In that respect, they were quite pleased with it, even if Brian opined that it was quite 'self - indulgent' in places. "Hi - Heel Sneakers" remains in the EMI vaults, unreleased.
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Moderne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 am

Was there a problem with High-Heeled Sneakers which has prevented its release? Was it mooted for the Shadows at Abbey Road CD? Was it vetoed by one or more of The Shads? I personally love Shades of Rock and play it regularly. I even like the kazoo verse in Bony Moronie! It's one of those LPs I can play in its entirety without wanting to skip over any of the tracks; Hank's solo in What'd I Say is genius... I agree that a re-release of Shades of Rock including High-Heeled Sneakers would be great but don't see how Slaughter...would fit into it. Also, any re-release of Shadows material now must surely (and sadly) have a question mark leveled at it in terms of how many people are realistically going to buy it in 2018!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 am

'Slaughter on 10th Avenue' would fit by virtue of the fact that it's Alan's debut as a 'Shadow' (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure it must have been the first thing they recorded after Bruce left. For that reason, I'd include it.
drakula63

Postby iefje » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

drakula63 wrote:'Slaughter on 10th Avenue' would fit by virtue of the fact that it's Alan's debut as a 'Shadow' (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure it must have been the first thing they recorded after Bruce left. For that reason, I'd include it.

That's right, although he did record with The Shadows as a session man on the track "Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad" and probably also on "San Francisco", "Last Train To Clarksville" and "A Better Man Than I", all from the album "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John". "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" was recorded on December 13th, 1968, a day before the very last live date of The Shadows with the line-up Marvin-Welch-Bennett-Rostill, which makes me wonder if Bruce maybe did play on the track. "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was recorded on December 30th, 1968, which featured just Hank, Brian and John.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:'Slaughter on 10th Avenue' would fit by virtue of the fact that it's Alan's debut as a 'Shadow' (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure it must have been the first thing they recorded after Bruce left. For that reason, I'd include it.

That's right, although he did record with The Shadows as a session man on the track "Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad" and probably also on "San Francisco", "Last Train To Clarksville" and "A Better Man Than I", all from the album "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John". "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" was recorded on December 13th, 1968, a day before the very last live date of The Shadows with the line-up Marvin-Welch-Bennett-Rostill, which makes me wonder if Bruce maybe did play on the track. "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was recorded on December 30th, 1968, which featured just Hank, Brian and John.

Given that he would end up as a 'Shadow', I suppose you could just about stretch the truth a bit and claim that the 'From Hank, Bruce, Brian and John' album tracks feature a five-man Shadows line-up of Marvin, Welch, Bennett, Rostill, Hawkshaw - not strictly true, of course, but they do represent a sort of transitional line-up which hints at things to come. I'll assume that 'Here I Go Again (Loving You)' - from Est. 1958 - was definitely NOT Alan?

Interesting about Slaughter... being recorded just prior to Bruce leaving the group. It was certainly promoted as being a post-Welch era recording and I have never heard any suggestion that he was on it. I wonder if the others said 'Come on, Bruce, just one more,' but he declined? Maybe we'll never know for sure. I'll have to listen to it again, but I can't recall noticing any prominent rhythm guitar on it...
drakula63

Postby iefje » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:08 pm

drakula63 wrote:
iefje wrote:

Given that he would end up as a 'Shadow', I suppose you could just about stretch the truth a bit and claim that the 'From Hank, Bruce, Brian and John' album tracks feature a five-man Shadows line-up of Marvin, Welch, Bennett, Rostill, Hawkshaw - not strictly true, of course, but they do represent a sort of transitional line-up which hints at things to come. I'll assume that 'Here I Go Again (Loving You)' - from Est. 1958 - was definitely NOT Alan?

Interesting about Slaughter... being recorded just prior to Bruce leaving the group. It was certainly promoted as being a post-Welch era recording and I have never heard any suggestion that he was on it. I wonder if the others said 'Come on, Bruce, just one more,' but he declined? Maybe we'll never know for sure. I'll have to listen to it again, but I can't recall noticing any prominent rhythm guitar on it...

Oh yes, there are definitely rhythm guitar parts on the track. The 'instrumentation matrix' for "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" is on page 37 of the following PDF-file: http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/instru ... file02.pdf. By the way, this is an older version of the website feature. Alan Hawkshaw does not only play organ on the track, but also harmonium. There will be an updated version of the entire website feature.
Regarding "Here I Go Again Loving You" and various other 1960's tracks featuring keyboards (piano, organ, harmonium, harpsichord, etc.), it's not always certain who has played those instruments. There are exceptions of course: "Chinchilla" features Norrie Paramor on piano, "Stand Up And Say That!" and "Kinda Cool" feature Hank on piano, "Fourth Street" features Brian on piano, to name but a few.
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows