Let me be the one - Yugoslavia

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Let me be the one - Yugoslavia

Postby drakula63 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Just bought this off ebay. There are a few on there at the moment. Just bought it for the sake of it really! Still, my LMBT1 collection is steadily increasing!
letmebethepne.jpg
(59.22 KiB) Downloaded 6752 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Let me be the one - Yugoslavia

Postby iefje » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Interesting! That's probably a rare record.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 am

Got it.

It's in good condition and looks great. Of interest is that 'Stand Up Like a Man' was clearly the 'a' side and 'Let Me Be The One' the 'b' side. That surprises me. And the date 6 5 75 has been handwritten on the reverse sleeve, which is either the release date or the date on which it was bought (?).

Anyway, here it is...
Attachments
IMG_7353_opt.jpg
IMG_7353_opt.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
IMG_7354_opt.jpg
IMG_7354_opt.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
IMG_7355_opt.jpg
IMG_7355_opt.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
IMG_7358_opt.jpg
IMG_7358_opt.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
IMG_7360_opt.jpg
IMG_7360_opt.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
IMG_7361_opt.jpg
IMG_7361_opt.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
drakula63

Postby Monty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 pm

It doesn't surprise me at all that 'Stand Up Like A Man' was the 'A' side - great lead vocals by John and Bruce with Hank in full support and fine guitarwork, no surprise it closed the album 'Specs Appeal' ending the set on a very high note indeed

- I always thought it was a much stronger song and band performance to the 'jaunty' LMBTO where Hank and Bruce would 'bob up and down' like future Teletubbies ! :roll:

- while notably John Farrar wisely did not ! 8-)

only Hank's guitar solo and the MWF harmonies raised LMBTO above very average poppy pop for me

surely they could have put say 'Spider Juice' as the 'B' side to LMBTO then followed it up with 'Stand Up Like A Man' c/w 'Rose Rose' ?

and maybe even followed that with 'Cool Clear Air' c/w 'Colorado Songbird' as other EMI UK singles ?

all of those three Euro songs could have made 'A' sides

- instead we had another Paul Curtis er 'gem' with 'Run Billy Run' (I wish it had....away - it certainly did not run up the UK singles charts tho')

but then as with earlier singles over 1966-68 they often played not to their strengths on singles with often a terrific 'B' side backing a rather average if not downright 'naff' 'A' side which of course...FLOPPED ! :? :? :o
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby drakula63 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm

I think that 'Let Me Be The One' is a great song and certainly the most 'Eurovision' of the songs they recorded. I think it could easily have won, and it ALMOST did! I think only tactical voting kept it from coming out on top.

Never much liked 'Run Billy Run', even Bruce refers to it as 'Let Me Be The TWO' (!!!!!!). I would, however, very much like to see the Jim'll Fix It appearance in which they sang it with Cliff. I bet that'll never be repeated!!!

I agree that the other 'Specs Appeal' tracks would have made better singles. ' Stand Up Like a Man', definitely, and probably 'Don't Throw It All Away' and 'Spider Juice'. Maybe in an alternative universe these were released instead and made the top 10. Sadly, we'll never know...

BTW, I think 'Stand Up Like a Man' was put on the B side (in most cases) because it got the second highest number of votes when they performed all six songs on the Lulu show prior to the contest.
drakula63

Postby Moderne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:46 am

I may be wrong but I have a feeling (without checking as it's 7.45am and my mother-in-law is sleeping in the room where my singles are kept...sorry, too much information!) Stand Up Like a Man had the 'A' side matrix number on the British pressing as well; maybe the voting was close and the initial count suggested that it was the winner (in the 'Lulu Show' vote). I agree it's a superb song featuring excellent vocals from John, Bruce and Hank. I do love LMBTO as well though!!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 am

Monty wrote: ... they often played not to their strengths on singles with often a terrific 'B' side backing a rather average if not downright 'naff' 'A' side which of course...FLOPPED !

Yes, the list of Shadows singles which should have been 'flipped' for release (as indeed Apache/Quatermassters Stores was!) is a long one.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to The Shadows