Shadows vocals ... and other aspects of their appeal

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows vocals

Postby Fenderman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm

I started getting into the Shadows when i was 13, that was back in 1987! All my mates were listening to new stuff such as Erasure, Duran Duran and Level 42. When i said i was listening to the Shadows they didn't know who that was!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

MikeAB wrote:I have a long held theory that whilst not necessarily their personal favourites EVERYONE actually likes Shads music and Hank's sound in particular - whatever they are playing as long as it's obviously them or him. The only reason a lot say they don't is simple fear of their peer groups!

Hmmmm. My wife isn't afraid of anybody and the only way I can con her into liking something played by any Shadows member is if it doesn't sound that way! Maybe she's the exception that proves your rule?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Moderne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:
MikeAB wrote:I have a long held theory that whilst not necessarily their personal favourites EVERYONE actually likes Shads music and Hank's sound in particular - whatever they are playing as long as it's obviously them or him. The only reason a lot say they don't is simple fear of their peer groups!

Hmmmm. My wife isn't afraid of anybody and the only way I can con her into liking something played by any Shadows member is if it doesn't sound that way! Maybe she's the exception that proves your rule?

I'd go along with that, Iain. My experience is almost the complete opposite of Mike's; most people I've met over the past 40 years are falling over themselves to say how much they dislike The Shadows. Admitting to being a Shadows fan has always been a 'coming out of the closet' experience - like admitting to being a born-again Christian. I've said before that I've often wondered how The Shadows have had such a successful career and who the people were who went to their concerts as the majority of people I've met can't stand them! :lol:
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm a member of another forum - completely unrelated to music - and I tentatively mentioned the Shadows in their 'Lounge' type area.

The response was overwhelmingly positive and I think it's fair to say that all the comments in reply were to the effect that the Shads were bl**dy great! Not so positive about Cliff though. I think there are more fans out there than some people realise.

P.S. In reference to another post above... I went to see Duran Duran in 1987! It was an evening of hysterical screaming and crying and fainting and having to be attended to by the St. John's Ambulance crew. And that was just me!!!!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby MikeAB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm

Rather proves my point - 'falling over themselves' no doubt to appear to be 'cool'! Why be so anti - methinks they protest too much.

Mind you I have spoken to many young people who have not heard of them and their 5 No 1's - that's a different thing really - and even that does not mean they would not subconciously like the music if they heard it I suppose, especially if they don't know who it is. Of course the 'young' don't like melodies/tunes much do they!!?
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 am

I'm not sure how but this thread has strayed well away from Shadows vocals!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby cockroach » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 am

Iain Purdon wrote:I'm not sure how but this thread has strayed well away from Shadows vocals!

Well, I started this thread, and I don't mind...I've been known to wander off topic meself! :D

anyway, it's all good interesting stuff! :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby MartcasterJunior » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

MikeAB wrote:Of course the 'young' don't like melodies/tunes much do they!!?

An accusation levelled at 'the youth' since popular music began!
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Mathew Verril

Postby MikeAB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Yep - and we all said we wouldn't say it when we got old!!

Having said that, us baby boomers are probably more open minded about 'young' music than our parents - who didn't 'get' amplified guitars (even though they were tuned 'like real instruments'!) etc etc.

Just before my totally 'with-it' Mum passed at 88 I showed her my iPod and played her a lot of less well known songs that I thought she would surely like (eg Bonny Portmore by Loreena McKennitt) - and the look on her face was as though there was nothing musical there at all. I suppose when compared with Glenn Miller etc she may have had a point - but she wasn't prepared to even try to like them I thought - but she loved the Shads.

I heard a young teenager on the radio a while back being asked what he thought of the (now seriously dated) 'crooners' era - just before Elvis etc. He was played someone I can't recall and said something I thought was so sad, along these lines '' why do they have to sing the words - just say them'' i.e. 'rap' them.

We surely were the luckiest generation music wise I think - and for me the Shads started it all!
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: Shadows vocals ... and other aspects of their appeal

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm

cockroach wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:I'm not sure how but this thread has strayed well away from Shadows vocals!

Well, I started this thread, and I don't mind...I've been known to wander off topic meself! :D
anyway, it's all good interesting stuff! :D

Fair enough John. I've taken the liberty of retitling the thread so that the label continues to match the tin!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows