Hank on piano..

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank on piano..

Postby RogerCook » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Didn't Hank play Wonderful Land on piano in one of Cliff's TV shows (It's Cliff?)?

Also there's a piano version of Wonderful Land on the Fremus CD Atlantis- maybe the same as the Cliff TV recording.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:49 am

RogerCook wrote:Didn't Hank play Wonderful Land on piano in one of Cliff's TV shows (It's Cliff?)?

Also there's a piano version of Wonderful Land on the Fremus CD Atlantis - maybe the same as the Cliff TV recording.

The "four pianos" version of Wonderful Land released on the Fremus "Atlantis" CD was recorded off-air from the Cliff/Shadows TV show broadcast on the afternoon of Christmas Day 1965, which was a Saturday.

All four Shadows (including Bruce and John) each played a separate piano - in vision at least.

The same programme had the group backing Jimmy Tarbuck on a version of It's In His (Her) Kiss.

The programme, made and networked by ATV London, was called "Wish Upon A Wishbone" and was shown at 14:15.

http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/itv-1965.html
Last edited by JimN on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Hank is seen 'playing' piano in the Bachelor Boy sequence from the After Ten Fellas: Ten! ITV production, in the second of the videos posted by Iain on the viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15435 thread.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Hank was seen on TV at the time (1962 - and notably on the ATV show "Sunday Night At The London Palladium") playing piano on Bachelor Boy.

Mind you, it was back-announced by comperé Norman Vaughan that Bachelor Boy had been mimed because Cliff had laryngitis...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby donna plasky » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 am

Hi. I happened to find a few of the videos described in this thread so I thought I'd post links in case anyone hasn't seen them yet:

"Bachelor Boy" from the "After Ten" program, with Hank on piano (second song in the clip):

"Kinda Cool" with Hank at a baby grand piano, followed by "Bachelor Boy" with Hank at an upright piano from the "It's Cliff" ATV Special:

Hank introducing Cliff to sing "Bachelor Boy" and then playing an upright piano, from the Pop Goes The Sixties program:

Cheers,
Donna
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Bachelor Boy here, unlike Stand Up And Say That, is not mimed to the record and seems to have been re-done for TV so it's highly likely that Hank is playing the piano.

I also have radio recordings from the 'BBC Star Show' of the 1962/3 line-up doing various numbers including Bachelor Boy complete with a lively piano and no lead guitar, which again points to Hank playing it.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Derek Mowbray » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 pm

It seems that some TV performances were obviously mimed to records, others might have been prerecorded then mimed ,someone with a good ear or inside knowledge would know ,some shows were completely live .
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby EJK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:59 pm

At a Cliff Richard/Shadows concert at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in 1963 I recall Hank playing piano on It'll be me with Bruce playing the guitar solo.
EJK

Full Real Name: Eric Kidd

Postby Gatwick1946 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:40 am

Hi Eric,

I saw this tour at Lewisham Odeon in 1963, and my recollection matches yours.

Can you remember any of the set list? My recollection is that they closed the first half and the first number was Shazam. The only other number I recall was Nivram.

They would surely have played their current 45rpm - might have been Atlantis? Ah just remembered they played Wonderful Land.

56 years ago now - where does the time go?

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Derek Mowbray » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Paul Childs wrote:Who played piano on Cliff's Got A Funny Feeling?

I have seen somewhere on a CD sleeve that Max Harris played piano on Got a Funny Feeling.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows