Rhythm & Greens EP

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Rhythm & Greens EP

Postby Moderne » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 am

My amplifier - a Technics - has a mono/stereo switch and I use it frequently when listening to old records. In particular when playing 78s, switching the amp to 'mono' cuts out much of the hiss that you would hear if you listened to them with the amp in stereo mode.

Has a list ever been produced which details significant noticeable differences between Shadows (and Cliff) recordings in mono and stereo? Some very early Cliff + Shads songs were recorded separately for stereo and so the differences are obvious as they are different recordings (I Want You To Know is an obvious example where Hank makes a mistake in the intro of the stereo version). Also sometimes there were overdubs made in mono which were missed off the stereo version (Tell Me and I Love You So by Cliff and Perfidia by The Shads are examples of this). But sometimes the mix was quite different even though the recordings were the same; Trying to Forget the One You Love sounds quite different in mono to the stereo version; sometimes there seems to be more reverb on the mono version (Hank's guitar in I Want You To Want Me...the drums in Tomorrow's Cancelled).

Are there any other recordings which sound significantly different in mono/stereo? (This might need to be a new thread...sorry Ian!)
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Moderne wrote:My amplifier - a Technics - has a mono/stereo switch and I use it frequently when listening to old records. In particular when playing 78s, switching the amp to 'mono' cuts out much of the hiss that you would hear if you listened to them with the amp in stereo mode.

Has a list ever been produced which details significant noticeable differences between Shadows (and Cliff) recordings in mono and stereo? Some very early Cliff + Shads songs were recorded separately for stereo and so the differences are obvious as they are different recordings (I Want You To Know is an obvious example where Hank makes a mistake in the intro of the stereo version). Also sometimes there were overdubs made in mono which were missed off the stereo version (Tell Me and I Love You So by Cliff and Perfidia by The Shads are examples of this). But sometimes the mix was quite different even though the recordings were the same; Trying to Forget the One You Love sounds quite different in mono to the stereo version; sometimes there seems to be more reverb on the mono version (Hank's guitar in I Want You To Want Me...the drums in Tomorrow's Cancelled).

Are there any other recordings which sound significantly different in mono/stereo? (This might need to be a new thread...sorry Ian!)

I have made features on the instrumentation on The Shadows and Cliff Richard & The Shadows recordings. They can be found on Malcolm Campbell's website. All the different versions are documented in detail.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Jim. Subtle stuff for those with discriminating ears.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Fenderman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Here's an unusual fact about More Hits! - back in the 80's my best mate's Dad had a copy of the album on vinyl, looked like the original pressing. I asked if i could get a loan of it as there was several tracks i didn't have at the time, he said that was ok. On closer inspection, i noticed a sticker had been placed over the top left hand corner where the Columbia logo was and it said 'Parlophone and it had the pound sterling logo. It had also been replaced on the actual record. It looked like some kind of last minute job. I knew that Columbia and Parlophone were part of EMI but when this came out (1965) Columbia were very much in existence. I asked his Dad later but he had no idea why that had been done.
Any ideas/theories?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby UlrichS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am

[
These stickered albums were used on - to my knowledge - UK, German and Dutch albums during a period from the mid 60s to the mid 70s.

They are all export copies to countries where the American Columbia label was active. The the EMI/Columbia label had to be covered.

I have only seen one Parlophone stickered album which came from Jamaica. As the Shadows albums came out on the Parlophone label in Jamaica anyway, this is probably just an import because of low pressing capacities or the sales were expected to be so low that an own pressing was not worth while.
Ex0.jpg
(55.61 KiB) Downloaded 4031 times

All UK albums I have seen have the silver/white/black label. They have either an Odeon or an EMI/Angel sticker.
Ex2.jpg
(57.74 KiB) Downloaded 4031 times
Ex3.jpg
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 4031 times
Ex1.jpg
(54.53 KiB) Downloaded 4031 times

Copies sometimes have the sticker only on the sleeves. I think that they were sold sealed so that the vinyl label was not visible in the shop.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Fenderman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Ahh, that makes sense because i think he mentioned that he bought it when he was abroad, can't remember where though. Thanks, i've been wondering about this for 30 years!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Previous

Return to The Shadows