Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Thank You Very Much: 40 years ago

Postby Jay Bass » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Never got to any of the concerts
but i remember buying the vinyl LP and listening to the great bass parts
it was the first time i had listened to Alan Jones bass playing for The shadows
and Mo Foster playing bass for Cliff.
its still one of my favourite lps , some great live arrangements.
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby drakula63 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Cliff and the Shadows at their very BEST - in my honest opinion - both separately and together. To this day I still think that the live version of Atlantis is the best it ever sounded. Cliff also had his best live band at that point and his choice of material was second to none. I got the LP when it came out in 1979, my only qualm is that is wasn't a double, as it could and should have been. I've since got hold of a nice bootleg recording of the entire concert (Including Wonderful Land, Little B, etc...) and this only makes me want a double album and blu-ray of the whole thing even more! Got the video, of course, but why couldn't they have left it intact? The interview footage is nice, but not when it cuts into the songs!

Come on Cliff, pull yer finger out and get hold of those 40 year old reels of film and get it sorted!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Moderne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

drakula63 wrote:Cliff and the Shadows at their very BEST - in my honest opinion - both separately and together. To this day I still think that the live version of Atlantis is the best it ever sounded. Cliff also had his best live band at that point and his choice of material was second to none. I got the LP when it came out in 1979, my only qualm is that is wasn't a double, as it could and should have been. I've since got hold of a nice bootleg recording of the entire concert (Including Wonderful Land, Little B, etc...) and this only makes me want a double album and blu-ray of the whole thing even more! Got the video, of course, but why couldn't they have left it intact? The interview footage is nice, but not when it cuts into the songs!

Come on Cliff, pull yer finger out and get hold of those 40 year old reels of film and get it sorted!

Yes, I totally agree. I remember desperately wanting to get a ticket but, at 14, was a bit too young for a night out on my own in the West End (and didn't know anyone who would go with me!!) I remember Roger Scott - the great and much missed Capital Radio DJ - playing Apache on his evening radio show and saying, "They've still got that magic." All Shook Up...a masterclass in making something so professional sound spontaneous and funny.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Didier » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am

drakula63 wrote:this only makes me want a double album and blu-ray of the whole thing even more!

At this time it wasn't fimed in HD so a blu-ray would make little sense, but a DVD certainly would !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby neil2726 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Have to agree it was the best version of Atlantis!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby drakula63 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Didier wrote:
drakula63 wrote:this only makes me want a double album and blu-ray of the whole thing even more!

At this time it wasn't fimed in HD so a blu-ray would make little sense, but a DVD certainly would !

Didier

Yes, but if it was recorded on film, as I suspect it was, (probably 16mm, but possibly 35mm) it could be upgraded to HD, just as a 1970 Doctor Who story ('Spearhead from Space') was. Of course, this would depend upon finding all the original film footage (preferably the negatives) and in reasonably good condition. I suspect that, sadly, they have either been lost or have deteriorated with age to the point that restoration would be expensive. But, I could be wrong. It could probably be done, but I suppose the chances now of anyone bothering would be pretty remote.
:(
drakula63

Postby Didier » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am

drakula63 wrote:
Didier wrote:

Didier
Yes, but if it was recorded on film, as I suspect it was, (probably 16mm, but possibly 35mm) it could be upgraded to HD, just as a 1970 Doctor Who story ('Spearhead from Space') was. Of course, this would depend upon finding all the original film footage (preferably the negatives) and in reasonably good condition. I suspect that, sadly, they have either been lost or have deteriorated with age to the point that restoration would be expensive. But, I could be wrong. It could probably be done, but I suppose the chances now of anyone bothering would be pretty remote.
:(

It was certainly filmed on SD video (probably on U-Matic format), not on film, and 35mm would be required for good results, 16mm has not enough definition. You can't expect HD quality from video recordings of this time.

When Dire Straits' Alchemy live video was released on DVD, it was advertised as "restored to pristine high definition visual clarity", but in fact, image quality was hardly better than on VHS !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby drakula63 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 am

It looks to me like it was shot on film. There are a couple of edits in 'Move it' which really DO look like they've been achieved via spliced film. I could be wrong of course, but it looks like it was shot and edited on some kind of film stock to me and not video.

Doctor Who - Spearhead from Space (1969/1970) was shot on 16mm colour film and anyone who has seen the HD Blu-ray release will surely attest to its amazing quality!
drakula63

Postby dogbender » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 pm

I was there with my eldest daughter the night that it was recorded. When Bruce made the mistake in All Shook Up, I thought that they would cut it out of the of the final edit but they didn't.

I also remember Hank stopping in the middle of the Savage at the Royal Albert hall because he had got the solo all wrong.

I think the best one is Bruce stopping Wonderful Land at Shadowmania because he had "forgotten the chords".

It just show that no one is infallible and that even the best of us make mistakes.

Pete
dogbender

Full Real Name: Peter Gillies

Previous

Return to The Shadows