Bassists and Shades Of Rock

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bassists and Shades Of Rock

Postby StuartD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Alan

They were just singles, one sided I think with white labels and the title written in ink. He put them on one at a time. They probably were acetates. Brian also conformed that it's him on Kazoo!!
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Stuart. Refs my researches into Tom Jones ( viz that, in early 1970 he had finished at the Las Vegas Hilton and was due to start his first residency at Caesar's Palace on April 20th)...do you think it was feasible that John had returned briefly to the UK say, late February / early March? You have already established that John was back in the USA by the end of March, 1970. I am surmising that he would have likely been back in the USA a month or so before Tom Jones' opening night on April 20th. That would have given the band a full month or so to rehearse thoroughly for the new show.

As I also mentioned previously.....Hank, Bruce and Brian were all quite definite that John played bass on 2 or 3 tracks. Given that he most definitely was back in the USA by the end of March....then his contributions must have surely been recorded on March 11th. I would also add that, several years ago.....when I asked such bass guitar luminaries as Mo Foster, Alan Jones and Laurence Canty to pick out which tracks John might have played on...I only asked them to concentrate on 2 tracks. This was because, although Hank and Bruce opined that John 'might have played on 3 tracks'..they were not certain. However....all 3 Shadows were certain that John played on at least 2 tracks. As I also said....Mo, Alan and Laurence ALL suggested that the two likely tracks were "Lucille" and " Satisfaction". All three arrived at this conclusion totally independent of each other. Furthermore....at the time, it was not known that both of those tracks were laid down on March 11th.

I welcome further comments and / or thoughts from our merry band of Shads devotees / aficionados and experts.

Cheers! Rob
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

I think the jury would be convinced!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks Iain...in Rumsfeld mode.....a lot of previously unknown unknowns suddenly becoming known knowns and most definitely fitting into place albeit nearly half a century on!!!
Arpeggio

Postby StuartD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi Rob

You are probably right.

I'm assuming that John was in the States by then but don't forget he was here in late December -January- he recorded the Cliff Richard Show and the Pop go the Sixties. I only know that he wasn't available to do the gig at Batley commencing 29th March, so he may well have been here until late March. Certainly enough time for him to have played on those tracks on those dates.
StuartD

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks Stuart. On the basis of what is known for certain and other probabilities....the facts do certainly seem to stack up and also fit with the general memories / perceptions of Hank, Bruce and Brian. Between us all, we are great detectives etc. Very Best Wishes, Rob
Arpeggio

Postby StuartD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks Rob. It is important to us!!
StuartD

Postby Fenderman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Some great detective work there, even with the passage of time we can still uncover little snippets!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:01 pm

iefje wrote:Would this mean that the other nine tracks were recorded in May, 1970, around the time of Hank's solo tracks "Break Another Dawn" and "Would You Believe It" (both recorded on May 16th, 1970)?

I always wondered who the bass player was on these two of Hank's solo recordings. As it was recorded around the time of the tracks for "Shades Of Rock", it could well be one of the bass players from that album: Dave Richmond, Herbie Flowers or Brian Odgers.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby StuartD » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:42 pm

HI

Certainly as far as Break Another Dawn is concerned it was produced by Tony Meehan. I am sure he used a band that he was working with at the time for the session.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows