Duane Eddy ?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Duane Eddy ?

Postby d jones » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi all could any body tell me when did Duane Eddy last tour the UK and is he likely to tour or off gig over here again. Many thanks in advance for any help on this one!

Dave
d jones

Re: Duane Eddy ?

Postby Moderne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:25 pm

I remember seeing Duane in 1991 when he toured with The Everly Brothers. He'd toured a year or two before on a package tour with The Crickets and Tommy Roe. As far as I'm aware he hasn't been to the UK since, unfortunately. It's a pity he's never made a guest appearance at one of the annual Duane Eddy Conventions. He was interviewed by Geoff Barker about a new album last year which was menat to be coming out in the summer but haven't heard any more. I would love to see him again - along with Hank he was my main guitar influence.

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby d jones » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Cheer Clive for all your info! Ive been hooked on his sound since as a kid listening to cannonball and it's flip side Mason dixon lion ,single worn out years ago but i have since manage to get a replacment!
all the best

Dave
d jones

Postby RalphG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 am

It all comes down to money. Duane, Bobby Vee, Tommy Roe, Chris Montez, Bobby Vee, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Ron Dante (Archies etc), Gary Puckett, The Vogues, The Association, Lovin' Spoonful, The Grassroots, The Box Tops and many others have all expressed an interest of late in coming to the UK but no promoter is prepared to gamble on the success of a tour.

Flying Music -- the promoters behind the Solid Silver tours - are looking at the possibility of putting together a U.S. package but don't hold your breath and if it does happen they will probably play safe and go for Bobby Vee to headline as they've done in the past plus one or two others like Chris Montez and Brian Hyland.

The Four Tops, The Temptations, The Three Degrees and The Drifters are here in March, but then they are in the premier league and promoters are more confident of making money.

Having said that Charlie Gracie, who is very reasonable about his fees, is over here soon and will be appearing on the same stage in April as The Triumphs, featuring our very own Rob Bradford, Ray Liffen, Trev Faull, Jules Dawton and Ken Ledran.

A number of UK stars from Paul McCartney to Mike Maxfield have cited Charlie as an early inspiration.
RalphG

Postby gogarrio » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 am

I see Duane Eddy is playing a Deke Dickerson guitar festival in LA later this month.
gogarrio

Postby Keith Bateman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm

For those of you with Sky tv you can see Duane on this week's Marty Stuart Show on Rural TV (channel 279, also Freesat channel 403). I recorded the programme on Sunday at 09:00 but it is repeated throughout the week eg Thursday 17:00, 23:00 and Friday 11:00. He performs a lacklustre Raunchy but a better Rebel Rouser.

If you've a liking for good Telecaster picking from Kenny Vaughan and Marty himself as well as great pedal steel from Gary Carter I recommend this show. The only downside is a corny banjo player in the second half.

If your taste runs to '60's country you will also find other shows on this channel such as Pop Goes Country, the Wilburn Brothers show and the Porter Wagoner show from that era. I've seen Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Merle Travis recently on these shows. I just set them up to record each week and pick the best out of them.

For the rail enthusiasts amongst you there is a Trains and Locomotives programme every week but it tends to be mainly USA themed. This week's is good featuring the famous Rock Island Line amongst others with good vintage steam and streamlined diesel videos.

Keith
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby Moderne » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Part of the problem is the way the whole scale/cost/ticket price thing has gone through the roof in the last 10 years or so. I spent £25 on seeing The Everly Brothers in 1997. I saw them again in 2005 and the cost was £55 and it was not good value for money: they were onstage for 1hr 20 mins (including a few Albert Lee numbers), gave a desultory performance and walked off stage without doing an encore.

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby George Geddes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Well, it ain't Duane, but it may be the next best thing - The Twang Gang are playing at this year's Pipeline Convention, and with four other bands on the bill it is amazing value for money...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Return to The Shadows