SHADOWS ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON (Near Gloucester)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

SHADOWS ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON (Near Gloucester)

Postby noelford » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:20 pm

My guitarist colleague Eric Isaac and myself are hosting an afternoon of Shadows music on SUNDAY JUNE 3rd. Whether you play or just like to listen, please join us for an informal and relaxed afternoon playing some of our favourite music.

Equipment is provided and, if you want to play, you only need bring your guitar. If you do want to bring any of your own amps/effects gear etc., we will try to accommodate, but it just depends on what we can fit in. Time and space mean that we can only have individual players and not full bands.

We will have lots of Shadows backing tracks but you can plug your own BT player (CD, Mini-Disk, iPads, laptops etc.) into our system if you wish. A laptop should also be available for CDs and memory-sticks.

Refreshments will be provided and admission is FREE (though we will have a donation box if you would like to make a small contribution towards our costs).

This is a one-off event for the moment, though we would love to be able to hold more like it in the future - it all depends on the support we get.

So do, please, come along if you can. We have the hall from 12.30 until 16.30, so that should give us a good three hours of actual playing time.

The venue is:

Whitminster Village Hall
School Lane
Whitminster
Gloucester
GL2 7NT

School Lane is directly off the A38 with the hall immediately on your right as you enter School Lane, and is about half a mile from J13 off the M5. There is plenty of free parking space.

Please note, we welcome players of all abilities, and the idea is just to have a fun and relaxed afternoon.

If you think you can come (and we hope you can), it would be helpful if you could let us know by posting here (though if you are a member of the other forums I am posting this message on, just one reply will do!)
noelford

Re: SHADOWS ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON (Near Gloucester)

Postby veryoldperson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:51 am

Hi Noel, will try and get there, as long as health allows, Not so good these days...

Regards,
Jim
veryoldperson

Full Real Name: James Mclachlan

Postby noelford » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks, Jim. I know you have suffered ill-health for quite some time, so if you could come along, you would be made very welcome.

Noel
noelford

Postby noelford » Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 am

Just a reminder, folks, our gathering is just over a week away, on Sunday 3rd June. At the moment we have a small number of people who have told us they will be coming - enough to ensure we have a good afternoon of music to look forward to, but there is still room for more of you if you fancy coming along to play or, if you wish, just to listen and eat cake!

One point. If you want to use your own amps, that's fine, but the hall we are using on this occasion has a very strict policy about electrical equipment and we have had to sign a contract agreeing that any such equipment used will be PAT tested. If your gear isn't tested, though, you can plug into our own equipment, which complies, and is available for all to use. All you need is your guitar (and you can even borrow one of those, if you want!)

My rig is a Bose L1 compact, which is used in conjunction with various amp modellers via both my iPad and also using pedals, which include a Joyo AC Tone and a Stanley eTap 2HW for great Shadows' multi-tap echoes. We will also have at least one conventional amp available, too.

Hope to see more of you there.

Noel
noelford

Postby jgoatcher » Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Noel, my name is John Goatcher and I live in Worcester. Saw your post about a Shads get together next Sunday and I would very much like to attend. I actually moved to Worcester about 6 years ago from Hemel Hempstead and anybody who has played in the various Shadows clubs around the M25 would probably know me. I was a founder member of the Watford club back in 1995. Unfortunately Worcester seems to be a bit isolated from the Shadows community although I have been to a few of the Warwick clubs meetings. If it is all right with you I would like to bring a little AC15 with Roger Allcocks EF86 mod which sounds quite nice and the Hall & Collins echo unit which imho is the most authentic Shads echo to date ( in the absence of a Meazzi !)
Look forward to meeting you on Sunday.
John
jgoatcher

Postby noelford » Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 am

Hi John

We'll very much look forward to seeing you, John. You are welcome to bring your own gear - the only issue we have, as I said above, is that the hall contract specifies all electrical gear used must me PAT tested. If that's a problem , though, you will be able play through our equipment which, though not the same as yours, will still give you an excellent sound.
noelford

Postby noelford » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Well, as it turned out it was Shadows on A Sunny Sunday Afternoon! Despite, the temptation of the glorious weather, we enjoyed an excellent turnout and a great afternoon of music was had by all. Many thanks to those of you who came and played (and listened) and made our event such a success. So much so that we will be repeating it - probably in a couple of months' time.

At one point I noticed a group of people, standing at the open double doors to the hall (it was very warm), talking to co-organiser, Eric. My first thought was, Oops! A delegation of neighbours asking us to turn the volume down. However, it turned out to be some passers-by who had been attracted over by the music. Same old story, wherever I go - the public loves Shadows' music, even if, for some of them, it's the first time they have heard it.

For news of the next one, watch this space.
noelford

Postby jgoatcher » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes , many thanks Noel and Eric for arranging yesterdays event. Im sure everyone enjoyed the opportunity to listen to and perform all those great tunes. I didnt mention yesterday that I havent picked up the guitar for a good six months as I have been concentrating on my keyboard playing, but it really rekindled my enthusiasm for the Shads numbers . Must try to put a lot more practise in and get rid of the rust !
Look forward to the next time ( no pun intended!)
jgoatcher

Return to The Shadows