'Old' Shadowmusic Archive Closing

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

'Old' Shadowmusic Archive Closing

Postby ShadsDrums » 12 Jan 2010, 17:01

Hi Folks

Well... I offered to keep the Shadowmusic archive from the 'old' Invision BBS site open to you all for as long as I could and I have done that. Looking at the stats, there are very few of you coming to the 'old' forum to look at the archived posts, pictures, tunes, uploads, documents, etc. so, after asking David Martin and being told "OK!", I've made the decision to close the archive site at the end of January 2010.

Best wishes
Chris
ShadsDrums

Full Real Name: Chris Kenward

Re: 'Old' Shadowmusic Archive Closing

Postby Iain Purdon » 13 Jan 2010, 02:50

I'm sorry to hear that Chris. I thought your intention was to keep the material alive by making it available this way because it could not be copied over to the new site.

The problem with archives is that one does not necessarily look at them very often but that doesn't invalidate their existence. Will the material be deleted now?

Iain
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby ShadsDrums » 13 Jan 2010, 09:20

Hi Iain

I am able to keep it going if folks want me to. My impression, however, from looking at the logs, is that very few people are actually using the archive at all. Bearing in mind we're not just talking about old message posts... we're talking about stax of downloads, pictures in the gallery, etc. as I mentioned in my initial post.

The Berkshire Shadows Forum is very quiet and doesn't require much in the way of administration, other than the occasional post and the occasional new member, so if the overall consensus from the community is that the data should stay a while longer, then I'm happy to keep it going for a little longer, at least until I either close the Berkshire Forum for lack of use, or find I need to use the software licence to host a different forum for someone else.

After asking the question of David Martin via Email, who responded that he'd chatted to the Admin team here on the new site and their feeling was "close it", rather than "please keep it going", I made the decision to do the former. It's not set in stone however, so easily averted for the moment.

This topic has had over 140 views but your comment is the only response. Doesn't this aptly make the point as to the importance of the archive, I wonder.

All the best, Iain
Chris
ShadsDrums

Postby captainhaddock » 13 Jan 2010, 11:38

Hi Chris, I am fairly new to this site, but a Shadows fanatic of 40+ years. Maybe the reason that you have received so few replies to this topic is that there are many members who fear looking foolish and therefore dare not ask the obvious question, so on their behalf I'll ask it, "How does one access the Shadowmusic archives" ????????
captainhaddock

Postby ShadsDrums » 13 Jan 2010, 11:50

Hi there

To get to the "old" site, simply go to: www.berkshireshadows.org/forums

If you want to see the whole site, you'll need to register, if you weren't registered before, when I used to host ShadowMusic on that site. If you only want to look at the archive, you should be able to do so as an unregistered guest.

Let me know if you have any issues getting to the data and I'll try to help.

Cheers
Chris
ShadsDrums

Postby Admin » 13 Jan 2010, 13:22

You can also get there by clicking on the Archive hotlink near the top of this page

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Postby ShadsDrums » 13 Jan 2010, 14:49

Well done, Bob. Nice one.
ShadsDrums

Postby ShadsDrums » 13 Jan 2010, 14:51

OOPS - sorry Bob - your link is incorrect in the Archive button. It needs to be:

http://www.berkshireshadows.org/forums/

If you want to place the actual forum address after that, that's fine but you will need the correct URL mate.

Cheers
Chris
ShadsDrums

Postby Admin » 13 Jan 2010, 17:01

You've moved the forum then. That link's been there for ages and always used to point to the right place - exactly where you told me to point it :mrgreen:

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Postby ShadsDrums » 13 Jan 2010, 17:35

Yeah - the URL was changed at David's request away from the "shadowmusic.tgis..." to the more appropriate "berkshireshadows.org"

Thanks, Bob
ShadsDrums

Next

Return to The Main Board