Riders In The Sky live in 1979

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Riders In The Sky live in 1979

Postby iefje » Mon May 28, 2018 2:18 pm

As I think all members on this forum will know, The Shadows' original studio recording of "Riders In The Sky" was released in two versions: the 1979 "String Of Hits" album version and the 1980 single version. The single version is in essence the same recording as the album version, but is speeded-up for the single and has added drum sounds and syndrum passages by Brian and an extra electric rhythm guitar part by Bruce. The Shadows already played the track live during the Autumn 1979 tour. Now I was wondering if during this tour they played the original album arrangement or the later single arrangement.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Riders In The Sky live in 1979

Postby drakula63 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:32 pm

iefje wrote:As I think all members on this forum will know, The Shadows' original studio recording of "Riders In The Sky" was released in two versions: the 1979 "String Of Hits" album version and the 1980 single version. The single version is in essence the same recording as the album version, but is speeded-up for the single and has added drum sounds and syndrum passages by Brian and an extra electric rhythm guitar part by Bruce. The Shadows already played the track live during the Autumn 1979 tour. Now I was wondering if during this tour they played the original album arrangement or the later single arrangement.

As far as I remember, the 'remixed' 1980 single version was an attempt at making it sound a bit more like it sounded when they played it live. I have a couple of live recordings on cassette from 1979 and I am pretty sure it was played faster, with Bruce playing his white Strat and with Brian playing the syndrums during the middle bit. I haven't listened to these cassettes for a while but I am about 90% certain that I'm correct. It makes sense, if you think about it; they asked the concert audience to vote on the tune that should be their next single and 'Riders in the Sky' came out as the favourite. Making the studio version sound a bit more like the live version (which had, after all, been voted on) seemed like the decent thing to do!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Tue May 29, 2018 9:07 am

drakula63 wrote:As far as I remember, the 'remixed' 1980 single version was an attempt at making it sound a bit more like it sounded when they played it live. I have a couple of live recordings on cassette from 1979 and I am pretty sure it was played faster, with Bruce playing his white Strat and with Brian playing the syndrums during the middle bit. I haven't listened to these cassettes for a while but I am about 90% certain that I'm correct. It makes sense, if you think about it; they asked the concert audience to vote on the tune that should be their next single and 'Riders in the Sky' came out as the favourite. Making the studio version sound a bit more like the live version (which had, after all, been voted on) seemed like the decent thing to do!

I didn't know that the audience voted for that track to be the next single, interesting! What other tracks were contenders for the next single?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 am

iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:As far as I remember, the 'remixed' 1980 single version was an attempt at making it sound a bit more like it sounded when they played it live. I have a couple of live recordings on cassette from 1979 and I am pretty sure it was played faster, with Bruce playing his white Strat and with Brian playing the syndrums during the middle bit. I haven't listened to these cassettes for a while but I am about 90% certain that I'm correct. It makes sense, if you think about it; they asked the concert audience to vote on the tune that should be their next single and 'Riders in the Sky' came out as the favourite. Making the studio version sound a bit more like the live version (which had, after all, been voted on) seemed like the decent thing to do!

I didn't know that the audience voted for that track to be the next single, interesting! What other tracks were contenders for the next single?

Yeah, they asked them at the end to cheer for the one they wanted and Riders in the Sky got the loudest cheer! I think Parisienne Walkways was another contender. I shall dig the cassettes out and have a listen, etc...
drakula63

Postby George Geddes » Tue May 29, 2018 4:25 pm

And then they went and released Rodrigo anyway!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:04 am

George Geddes wrote:And then they went and released Rodrigo anyway!

George

Yeah, that was a strange move. I think 'Classical Gas' would have been a good choice too.
drakula63

Return to The Shadows