"On The Beach", Hank and the Burns Double Six

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: "On The Beach", Hank and the Burns Double Six

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:23 am

Well I haven't although I now have a 'normal' Double Six.

And before that, a Ricky. And before that, a Shergold.

One day I'll have to get off me bum and put my recording of Don't Talk To Him onto YouTube, as I actually used a 12-string on that (the Shergold).
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby cockroach » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Some photos here of the 1963 Burns Double 12 prototype including a close up of the bass and normal guitar strings affixed at the tailpiece..and lots of other interesting photos of Burns guitars and basses, prototypes etc..

http://www.blackguitars.com/burns-prototypes.html
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:50 am

I had an original Double Six although it was a few years later than when Hank had his. Mine was a Baldwin labeled one, bought brand new from a music shop in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1971 (Jeavons rings a bell) and it was a sod to play. It was being sold off cheaply (£60) and I was lead guitarist with Dave Berry at the time and I figured it would be good for 'Little Things', though I couldn't have been more wrong. I had been using an acoustic Hoyer with a pickup for this song and soon went back to it, in fact I still have it. The Double Six was part exchanged to fund a new mixer in 1976 and I wasn't sorry to see it go. About eight years ago I bought another Double Six, this time it was the Marquee model and it is far better than the one I had in 1971. It's very playable and I use it for 'Don't Talk To Him', 'On The Beach' and 'I'm The Lonely One' when we do them in the show. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby George Geddes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:10 am

The red Double Six had the pre-Marvin Burns styling, whereas the green one (the 'normal' tuning) had the post Marvin look.

Yes, I am glad to have a Double Six in my collection, but I find the Yamaha Pacifica 12-string (which I bought years ago) much easier to play (and lighter into the bargain) - I have used it on the Dinosaurs CDs on more than one occasion.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby StuartD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 am

Like Dave I got mine in 1969/70 when they were being sold off cheap. Can't say I used it a lot and the sad thing now is that I traded an original 64 Bison in for it!! The one like the Marvin. I still have it in the original Baldwin case!!

One night, when the Bass Player was ill, we decided to use it to 'fill out' the sound. The Rhythm Guitar player's hand had nearly dropped off by the end of the night!!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby MartinC » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:49 am

Some great anecdotes there - that poor rhythm guitarist!

The photos on that website are absolutely brilliant, cockroach. Thanks for sharing them - particularly the Double Six prototype. The bridge looks like something designed for the military!
MartinC

Full Real Name: Martin Carroll

Postby cockroach » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am

MartinC wrote:Some great anecdotes there - that poor rhythm guitarist!

The photos on that website are absolutely brilliant, cockroach. Thanks for sharing them - particularly the Double Six prototype. The bridge looks like something designed for the military!

You're welcome Martin! :)

Yes, seeing some of the far out stuff on that site, I wonder what Jim and his blokes might have been smoking during work hours in the secret prototype department... :roll: :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Previous

Return to The Shadows