Duane and Jet. Who was the first?

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: Duane and Jet. Who was the first?

Postby Moderne » 13 Jan 2010, 09:11

RayL wrote:The recording sessions for The Twangs The Thang started on November 20th 1959, with the Danelectro being used for Blueberry Hill. Route No.1 was then laid down using the Gretsch, before returning to the Danelectro for You Are My Sunshine. That completed the day's recording. It's worth noting that out of the twelve tracks on that album, ten used the six-string bass, the only other Gretsch tune being Trambone.

A linked question might be "What was the first recorded use of a six-string bass?" and there's a good case for it being Grady Martin on December 13th 1957 in Johnny Horton's Honky-Tonk Hardwood Floor.

Picking up on an earlier query, are we all agreed that E to E tuning (an octave below standard guitar) is six-string bass, whereas A to A and any other intermediate tuning would be baritone guitar?

Ray L

You're probably right. Barney Kessel used one on his Some Like it Hot LP - which came out earlier in 1959. He talks about it in the sleeve notes.

Incidentally, has anyone heard a 1961 record by The Piltdown Men of a Henry Mancini film theme called The Great Imposter. It's a great disc and in IMHO could have been the blueprint for the Jet and Tony sound!

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Stratstroker » 13 Jan 2010, 12:27

Well thanks guys, it looks like that's sorted then!

But it would have been nicer for it to have been Jet!

I do wonder why Duane would have used the Danelectro, which to my ears was distinctly lacking in twang, for Because They're Young when his Guild or Gretsch tuned down a tone would have sounded so much better!
Yet BTY sounds great, which was why I originally doubted that the Danelectro was used on the track, and I still ain't 110% sure!

There is one thing I am in no doubt about! The best ever recorded sound from a six-string bass is Jet's Main Title Theme, and whatever anyone ever does in the future it will not be bettered!!!

Al :)
Stratstroker

Postby Stratstroker » 13 Jan 2010, 12:29

I should have added that the Danelectro baritone looks, in my opinion, alot worse than it sounds.

But the Fender Bass VI looks, and sounds, fabulous!

Al :D
Stratstroker

Postby Moderne » 13 Jan 2010, 12:35

The superb fade-out to Because They're Young is quite twangy!
I agree that Main Title Theme is unsurpassable!

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Previous

Return to The Main Board