Throw Down A Line (a taste of hank marvin)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Throw Down A Line (a taste of hank marvin)

Postby Moderne » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm being self-indulgent so if you don't want to see that, please look away now!

If an extra song could have been included (and, by the way, why say 'trks' instead of 'tracks' on the front cover?!!) on each side, I would add A Better Man Than I, Love Truth and Emily Stone (or Tokyo Guitar), Nobody Cares (or You Never Can Tell...thanks Chris) and It'll Be Me, Babe to sides 1-4 respectively. But...full marks to Bob Stanley for compiling this LP and (presumably) persuading Sainsbury's (!!!!!) to market it. I just need to record it onto a cassette and then I can play it in the car (oh no, my car doesn't have a cassette player in it any more... :( )
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Moderne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am

For anyone who's interested, the original mono versions of Scotch on the Socks (without the extra clowning in the Abbey Road reverb chamber as revealed on the '...At Abbey Road' CD) and Sunday for Seven Days (which I think is superior to the stereo version) are used. Interesting that Gutbucket and Wide Mouthed Frog are listed as copyright 1999 (when the remastered EMI digipack CDs came out) whereas Jungle Jam is c. 1973. All 'trks' are apparently copyright Parlophone Records Ltd...
Moderne

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 pm

At last! A Shads (or at least near-Shads) album that's not full of abysmal song covers. And it's a double!

The only downside is, I can't play vinyl anymore.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby iefje » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:55 pm

There are lots of new record players available for sale in all price-ranges. ;)
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Moderne » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Just noticed a mastering error on Jungle Jam...the first two notes on the "synth-like effect* (John Farrar's guitar) are missing. Incidentally, I've noticed a horrendous mistake in the Pocket Guide to ShadowMusic book by Malcolm Campbell, Rob Bradford and Les Woosey...the version of My Way on Cliff's Live in Japan '72 LP is the Frank Sinatra song - not the Shadows song from Finders Keepers. Apologies if this has been noticed before.

I'm sorry to say this in the week when Iain Purdon has gone to great efforts to enable my new email address to be recorded on my member profile...but as a Shadows fan I don't really feel I have much in common with anyone else on this site so won't be posting anymore, except possibly the odd PM. I think I've done quite well to maintain a (hopefully occasionally useful) presence 8 years after being ripped to shreds by one of the moderators...

Cheerio all,

Clive
Moderne

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Picked one up at Braehead store. Used some Nectar points to keep the cost down. (But then bought a book and DVD set I had been looking out for!) Now I need to check that the stylus on my record deck is up to it...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby iefje » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am

Which versions of the tracks have been used? So far "Scotch On The Socks", "Sunday For Seven Days" and "Jungle Jam" have been mentioned. Are the following tracks in mono or stereo:
"Late Night Set", "My Way", "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Bath", "Maroc 7", "The Dreams I Dream", "Tomorrow's Cancelled", "Throw Down A Line", "London's Not Too Far", "Goodnight Dick", "Boogitoo", "Chameleon" and "The Joy Of Living".
iefje

Postby JimN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Surely nobody who posts regularly here actually needs this double LP?

There isn't a track on it I haven't got at least once and most of them are in my collection in multiple instances.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:33 pm

I belong to that group of people too, but I would like to create this compilation myself for my own use, using my own records and using the same versions as on this double LP.
iefje

Postby Moderne » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 am

Hi Ivo; I've PM'd you (apologies if you've already read it...!)
Moderne

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows