Throw Down A Line (a taste of hank marvin)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Throw Down A Line (a taste of hank marvin)

Postby UlrichS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:53 pm

For all vinyl addicts, a 'new' double LP release only available at Sainsbury's shops (no mail order) and limited to 1500 copies:

s-ThrowDownALine-1.jpg
s-ThrowDownALine-1.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 9219 times
s-ThrowDownALine-2.jpg
(53.29 KiB) Downloaded 6828 times

At least not the usual 'Best Of' collection.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Re: Throw Down A Line (a taste of hank marvin)

Postby UlrichS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Does anybody know the shop price for this set?
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Moderne » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Great compilation (similar to ones I used to do at the back of school exercise books 40 years ago!) Just been to both Worcester branches of Sainsbury's but neither had it :(
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby manofmystery » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:05 pm

£20 but of the 5 Sainsbury's around Hull, only one is stocking it and they have 7 copies.

Regards

Paul
manofmystery

Full Real Name: Paul Wray

Postby shadowriter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:29 am

Didn't see it in my local Sainsbury's yesterday. Maybe Leo's Den will get hold of a few. Stupid prices for Vynil, Crazy they haven't released it on cd.
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby iefje » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 am

Quite an interesting track listing! It demonstrates the more heavy style of playing from The Shadows, Hank, Marvin, Welch & Farrar and Cliff & Hank. Also interesting to see that all tracks are originals. "Maroc 7" and "Cool Clear Air" were composed outside of the group, but as far as I know haven't been recorded before The Shadows did, so they are also group originals.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am

Quite amazing. Don't know what else to say!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby MikeAB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am

Joy of Living is Cliff and Hank as well of course
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Moderne » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm

...and Syndicated is by The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate - not a track from Tasty as the sleeve notes state. But I honestly never dreamed such a compilation would be released...in 2018 and only available on vinyl...and at Sainsbury's! I bought two copies from a big Sainsbury's near Coventry today, it seems to be part of a Fathers' Day promotion of 'Dad-music' on vinyl. Not sure how many dads under the age of 70 will appreciate a compilation of the genius of mid-period Hank...but there you go!

Many thanks, Ulrich, for alerting us to this!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Found something else to say.

I like the 'retro' front cover image/design. Definitely looks like something from another (and, sigh, better) era! The track listing is generally good, although I might have included something from the 'Marvin and Farrar' album, perhaps 'Skin Deep' or 'You Never Can Tell'. But I suppose we can all quibble. The inclusion of 'Spider Juice' is an inspired one, as this represents (possibly) the very apex of the Shadows' 1970s output.

I have to wonder if the 1977 (c) date may have caused the compiler to err as far as 'Syndicated' goes? Tasty was released in 1977 and so it's an easy mistake to make.

With regards the inclusion of 'Maroc 7'... it's worth remembering that the Shads were originally approached to write the music for this film, and when they couldn't - due to scheduling I imagine - they recommended their friend Paul Ferris. So there is a definite Shadows connection there and, of course, their recording of the theme was marketed as the 'official' version and played in cinemas just prior to or at the time of the film's release.

As an aside, until the end of 2016, I lived literally ten minutes walk from the big Sainsbury's store in Kimberley, Notts. And, they had just started to stock vinyl when I left! It's a nice looking album and, if I find one locally, I might be unable to resist the temptation. Whatever the reason, I'm genuinely both surprised and pleased by this release.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Next

Return to The Shadows