Shadows DVDs

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows DVDs

Postby iefje » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:30 am

cockroach wrote:What about the Cliff DVD with all the live stuff from his then (early '60's)TV show? Lots of great live playing by the first Shads lineup..

That's the VHS video "The Hit List" which was released in the Autumn of 1994. There's also a DVD with this footage, but it's unofficial. It indeed features quite a few clips from TV shows in the 1960's. Most are with Jet and Tony. Some also with Brian Bennett and Brian Locking in the line-up and with Brian Bennett and John Rostill.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby TimRyland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:41 pm

There’s also ‘The Strat Pack’ DVD which Hank, along with Ben, appears on doing Flingel Bunt, Sleepwalk and Apache.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby iefje » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:28 am

TimRyland wrote:There’s also ‘The Strat Pack’ DVD which Hank, along with Ben, appears on doing Flingel Bunt, Sleepwalk and Apache.

Tim.

That's right, I forgot that one. In addition to the DVD issue, the Blu-Ray issue also features "Wonderful Land" and "The Savage" from the show, rehearsal versions of "Wonderful Land", "The Savage" and "Sleepwalk" and an interview with Hank and Ben. There was also an instruction video (on VHS video only) in 1997, called "Just Hank Marvin". Hank is also a guest on Cliff Richard's VHS video and DVD release "The Countdown Concert". He plays together with Cliff on "Move It", "Living Doll", "The Young Ones" and "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" and also has three solo spots with "Apache", "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" and "Riders In The Sky".

There are six more DVD's which features The Shadows and Marvin, Welch & Farrar:
- The 2002 Dutch DVD "Greatest Hits", featuring the official promo video clip of The Shadows miming to "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)".
- The 2003 Dutch DVD "Eurovision Songfestival Hits", featuring the official promo video clip of The Shadows miming to "Let Me Be The One".
- The 2003 UK Cliff Richard DVD "Special Edition EP", featuring The Shadows miming to the edited single version of "Equinoxe (Part V)" in a German TV show.
- The 2005 Danish double DVD "Congratulations – 50 Years Of The Eurovision Song Contest – All The Winners + Favourites – 1956-1980", featuring The Shadows' actual performance during the Eurovision Song Contest 1975, recorded in Stockholm on March 22nd, 1975.
- The 2008 Dutch CD/DVD "Top 40 1965-1974", featuring Marvin, Welch & Farrar during a TV show miming to "Lady Of The Morning".
- The 2012 5CD/DVD box set by Cilla Black "Completely Cilla: 1963-1973", featuring Cilla Black and Marvin, Welch & Farrar performing "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" on the Cilla Black show in 1971.
Last edited by iefje on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
iefje

Postby iefje » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

AlanMcKillop wrote:My recollection is that The Shadows Live in Liverpool is a rebadged At Their Very Best dvd, in other words, they are the same.
Another legit dvd, is The Shadows Live dvd ep which from memory, is The Shadows set from the 1984 Together concert and has 6/7 songs and was released in 2000.
I think those additions/amendments to your list, completes the official release of material on dvd, although there are other unofficial or bootleg copies in circulation.

The footage on "Live In Liverpool" is the same as on "At Their Very Best Live". It does feature improved soundtracks. "At Their Very Best Live" only has a Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0 lossy soundtrack, while "Live In Liverpool" has a LPCM Stereo 2.0 soundtrack and a DTS Surround 5.1 soundtrack. It also features a jukebox function.
"The Shadows Live" was first issued on VHS video and Betamax video in May, 1986. The DVD issue came out in 2000. It features the tracks:
1. Shadoogie.
2. Time Is Tight.
3. Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina).
4. Equinoxe (Part V).
5. Wonderful Land.
6. Apache.
7. F.B.I.

"Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)", "Wonderful Land" and "F.B.I." were already issued on the VHS video and Betamax video "Together 1984" in 1984, but in slightly different stereo mixes. This video also includes an eighth track by The Shadows from later in the show: "Let Me Be The One". It was probably left off of "The Shadows Live", because it also features Cliff Richard on backing vocals and Alan Park on second keyboards.
iefje

Postby cockroach » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:07 pm

What about the show at Knebworth with Cliff (where Hank played that heavy metal Strat thingy?)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby TimRyland » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Was that the Strat that looked like it was covered in newspaper?
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby JimN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm

TimRyland wrote:Was that the Strat that looked like it was covered in newspaper?

No. The newspaper Strat was a normal guitar with an abnormal finish (commissioned by The Scotsman newspaper, I think).

The Heavy Metal Strat (and that was how its name was spelled: Strat) was a Fender guitar which was a bit like a Stratocaster but wasn't really a Stratocaster. It was more along the lines of a Jackson, Charvel or Ibanez Jem - a "superstrat" with a Kahler locking tremolo and at least one humbucker.

Here's one: https://reverb.com/item/5466884-fender-heavy-metal-hm-strat-vintage-e-serial-stratocaster-kahler-spyder-8153
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:05 am

Hank went all 'heavy rock' for one number with Cliff...doing a few of those 'dive bombing' bends with the HM Strat... :o :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby iefje » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am

It was for the track "Good Golly Miss Molly" during the Knebworth concert in 1990 where Hank used this guitar. By the way, my 1000th post on this forum. ;)
iefje

Postby Didier » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 am

cockroach wrote:Hank went all 'heavy rock' for one number with Cliff...doing a few of those 'dive bombing' bends with the HM Strat... :o :D

Capture from the Knebworth video during "Good Golly Miss Molly".

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows