The Air That I Breathe

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Air That I Breathe

Postby Gatwick1946 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:50 am

Thanks to the YouTube guys for putting up this cover of the Hollies classic.

I was wondering :-

When it was recorded?,

Who is playing on the track?,

Which LP it was considered not good enough to include on?

To my ears it sounds like it could fit on "TASTY"??

I think it sounds like John F on 2nd guitar? Perhaps it was considered not up to the mark, or the Shadows wanted more original material, rather than another cover version?

I quite like it and I think it stands comparison with tracks such as "Tonight" or "Somewhere".

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Re: The Air That I Breath

Postby iefje » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 am

The Shadows recorded the track around February, 1975. It was probably a contender for the "Specs Appeal" album, before it was decided to include the six songs for the Eurovision Song Contest. It indeed features John Farrar and was first released as a bonus track in August, 1992 on the first CD issue of the "Tasty" album, called "More Tasty".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 am

Some while ago, I knocked together a CD entitled 'Specs Appeal - Special Edition', which comprised all the tracks on the released version from 1975, plus...

The Air That I Breathe, Love is Falling in Love Again, We'll Believe in Loving, Run Billy Run, It'll Be Me Babe, Superstar, Honky Tonk Women, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Most Beautiful Girl, No No Nina (instrumental)

...all of which were recorded during the period 1974-1975 and could have made up an impressive double album.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby StuartD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 am

Hi

I can confirm that it was originally going to be part of the Specs Appeal Album. It was recorded before they were announced as Eurovision representatives.

They played a benefit concert for together with Cliff, for Colin Chapman, who was a producer from Top of the Pops. That was when they were asked to take part in the Eurovision Song Contest.

I went to De Lane Lea, which was a Studio in Wembley, a few days after the concert and they were mixing the Album. Dick Plan was the Engineer. It included the tracks Superstar, Honky Tonk Woman, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Most Beautiful Girl, and The Air That I Breathe. When the album came out those tracks were replaced by the six Eurovision songs and all, except Air That I Breathe, were released later on Tasty, after John Farrar had left. As I had heard the Track at the Mixing Sessions I always wondered why it did not make the cut for Tasty. It's a great arrangement and typical of John Farrar's influence at the time.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby iefje » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:50 am

Another nice piece of information, thanks Stuart!

Known recording dates and periods for the instrumental tracks for the "Specs Appeal" album are April, May and August, 1974. According to the booklet of the 1997 CD "The Shadows At Abbey Road", the backing parts for "God Only Knows" were recorded on November 21st, 1975. This must be a typing error, because the backing parts were not only used for the modified version from March, 1979, but also for the original one for the "Specs Appeal" album, which was released in March, 1975. My guess is that logically the date must be November 21st, 1974. The recording dates for the instrumental version of "No No Nina" are August 27th and 28th and October 24th, 1974.
If "The Air That I Breathe" was mixed just a few days after the benefit concert which took place on October 27th, 1974 (correct me if I'm wrong), then it couldn't have been recorded in February, 1975, but maybe also during the April-May-August, 1974 period.

When did the recording sessions take place for the six vocals?
iefje

Postby StuartD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:55 pm

HI

The mixing was definitely done in early November 1974. It was definitely the week after the benefit concert and the date of 27th October is right for that. I was there all day and all those tracks, with the exception of No No NIna, which I had never heard, were mixed. Colorado Songbird, Spider Juice, Honorable Puff Puff, Rose, Rose, Like Strangers, etc, together with the covers, Superstar, Honky Tonk, Yellow Brick Road etc.

Not sure when the vocals were recorded but it must have been in early 1975

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Re: The Air That I Breathe

Postby Gatwick1946 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 am

Thanks for the info guys.

About 25 years ago we were told that everything of value recorded by the Shadows, had been released, with the exception of some demo's, which were judged to be of poor quality. But, as we now know, a few gems were yet to see the light of day.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

About 25 years ago we were told that everything of value recorded by the Shadows, had been released, with the exception of some demo's, which were judged to be of poor quality. But, as we now know, a few gems were yet to see the light of day.

Kindest regards,
Christopher

Yes, the liner-notes of the March, 1993 UK CD "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2" told us that. Then in October, 1997 the UK CD "The Shadows At Abbey Road" came along. After that, the Kingston concert from March 7th, 1962 was released in March, 2002 and in January, 2003 the "Summer Holiday Special Edition" CD offered an alternative take of "Les Girls".
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:13 pm

I've been told by a couple of members of here that more remains in the vault in a releasable state but the Shadows themselves for whatever reason have refused to have it released. So far their wishes have been respected and i don't think the current copyright holders would see any point in releasing it now sadly.
Tracks that might still be in the Abbey Road vault include Blues in an unfurnished flat, life on mars, foot tapper (film version, possibly damaged beyond repair) and alternate takes of many released tracks, including studio chatter.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Return to The Shadows