WHAT PRICE A SHADS RECORD?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

WHAT PRICE A SHADS RECORD?

Postby RalphG » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:35 am

I interviewed Chris Farlowe last month and thought it raised an interesting subject.

When Chris did a gig in the former East Germany shortly after The Wall came down, he said he was staggered to be told by a fan that he had saved for months to buy a Farlowe album on the black market for the equivalent of £400 in East German money. As Chris has run an antiques business for years, he said he checked it all out and found the figure rang true.

Are there any tales out there of high rarity prices or even black markets for Shads records? Maybe some of our experts like Jim, Rob, George et al know something ...
RalphG

Re: WHAT PRICE A SHADS RECORD?

Postby Airman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 am

I was on a trip to the UK from Toronto about eight years back and staying with an old friend of mine who had in his possession a thick tome which catalogued the dates of issue and the then current prices of thousands of recorded singles, EP's and LP's from the mid 1940's up to the late 1980's. Some of you may know the book, the name of which escapes me. I looked up one of my Shadows EP's "The Shadows at The Colosseum" Johannesburg, recorded live about 1961. To my amazement it was listed then at approximately GBP50+, contingent on condition. Although well played over the years I still have the EP obtained for me by my brother on a trip to South Africa in '61 for about 12/6,(60p I guess) and both disc & sleeve are still in good shape. Anybody got any idea of it's value today? I'd be interested to know - but, sorry guys, it 'ain't' for sale!

Steve Davis,
Toronto Shadows Club.
Airman

Postby gonzales » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:40 am

I remember seeing the "Colosseum" ep on sale in Beanos record store (now finally closed down) in Croydon a few years ago for £200!!
gonzales

Full Real Name: Russ Brooker

Postby asimmd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 am

There is/was a monthly Record Collector magazine where dealers would advertise rare records
both for sale and wanted.
I remember reading a few years ago that a dealer was offering £150 for a copy
of the Shadows First album,in good condition.

If the dealer was prepared to offer this sum you can be sure it was worth a lot more.

I don't know if the magazine is still published,maybe others will have more info.

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby UlrichS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi all,

Being a vivid collector of Shadows releases worldwide I had to make the experience that a value for a record is nearly impossible to set up especially when it comes to rare records. Price guides are of value only for common releases but not for the rarities.

For my opinion there is only one rule: The value of a record is what someone is willing to pay for this copy on this occasion. The other day it might be fairly different as the previous buyer has his copy and the next interested person is probably not willing to spend that much.

For example: I was very much after a stock copy of the US release of the Drifters first single "Don't Be A Fool (With Love)" (the one which caused the name change). Over the years I had placed bids in a handful of auctions up to some GBP 120 - and always got outbid. Some time ago I won it on eBay for US$ 35.

Or: The UK CD "Change Of Address" was available for around GBP 5 - 10 for quite a long time. Now you hardly get a copy below GBP 50.

The most expensive Shadows items of which I know that they have been sold (not offered) are the two Japanese 10" LPs, "What's Mysterious Sound" and "Guitar Tango". They went for roughly GBP 1100 and GBP 900 (unfortunately I did not have the change). But as I said before, I am not sure about the price for the next occasion.

Ulrich

PS.
Alan,
The dealer you mention might have been after the first Shadows album ever, which is "Rockin' Guitars" from South Africa.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Return to The Shadows