Don't Make My Baby Blue - TOTP!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Don't Make My Baby Blue - TOTP!

Postby nivramarvin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:24 pm

johnc wrote:I hate to say it, but I think Hank's fuzz solo on this great track is one of the poorest he ever played on a recording. He sounded like he was struggling to play a hip trendy fuzzbox contemporary 'wild' solo and failing...lighter gauge strings may have helped, but the bent notes always sound off-pitch to my ears..

I’ve always liked this solo very much and the fuzz-sound too. To my ears the bent notes sound correct, even the tricky up-bending of the deep E by the vibrato arm.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Re: Don't Make My Baby Blue - TOTP!

Postby johnc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 am

nivramarvin wrote:
johnc wrote:I hate to say it, but I think Hank's fuzz solo on this great track is one of the poorest he ever played on a recording. He sounded like he was struggling to play a hip trendy fuzzbox contemporary 'wild' solo and failing...lighter gauge strings may have helped, but the bent notes always sound off-pitch to my ears..

I’ve always liked this solo very much and the fuzz-sound too. To my ears the bent notes sound correct, even the tricky up-bending of the deep E by the vibrato arm.

Fair enough! Very subjective comment by me! :D

OTOH, I thought the solo Hank did for the song on the Shads Final Tour DVD was much better..
johnc

Previous

Return to The Shadows