Brian Bennett & Alan Hawkshaw Talk + KPM All Stars gig

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Brian Bennett & Alan Hawkshaw Talk + KPM All Stars gig

Postby seedhouser » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 am

Hi I've just notice that Brian & Alan and John Cameron are talking at Spriritland in Kings X on Film & TV themes and scores- tickets are £11.00. On Sunday 7 October at 7.30pm . Jonny Trunk is the host.
http://spiritland.com/events/spiritland ... -all-stars
seedhouser

Re: Brian Bennett & Alan Hawkshaw Talk on TV & Film scores

Postby George Geddes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Sounds interesting! Had I known about it earlier I might have stayed on after the KPM gig... But I will be back home by then

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 am

I have the same problem - bother
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 am

Meanwhile it was great to see Alan Hawkshaw and the utterly brilliant KPM All Stars. Brian Bennett and Clem Cattini were only a few seats away from us.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby George Geddes » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:36 pm

There are not words to describe the gig... You had to be there. Musicianship of the highest standard. Well worth the 800 mile round trip!

George
George Geddes

Postby alewis41 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:49 pm

I was there. It was wonderful to hear that music played live by the best in the business. The place was packed! A great evening.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby flingelbunt » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:06 pm

I was there at the Saturday concert at the British Library also along with Iain Purdon and George Geddes who I hooked up with before the gig and eventually sitting alongside with a view from above of this extraordinary group of superlative musicians. You had to be there to appreciate the level of musicianship; many well known and lesser known themes were played with, in most cases, the particular composer taking the conductors position frontstage. Alan Hawkshaw came on to play some of his works, mainly on a Hammond C3 and recounted the story of how he composed the 'Countdown' clock music; very funny (and lucrative!) how it came about. Brian B was in attendance sitting alongside Clem Cattini- all in all, a tremendous night of high class music and composers and their compositions. Some examples of the themes played were 'Coast', 'Grandstand' and many others whose working titles were totally unrelated to the item they were used for! Great night!
Maurice
flingelbunt

Postby iefje » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 am

flingelbunt wrote:I was there at the Saturday concert at the British Library also along with Iain Purdon and George Geddes who I hooked up with before the gig and eventually sitting alongside with a view from above of this extraordinary group of superlative musicians. You had to be there to appreciate the level of musicianship; many well known and lesser known themes were played with, in most cases, the particular composer taking the conductors position frontstage. Alan Hawkshaw came on to play some of his works, mainly on a Hammond C3 and recounted the story of how he composed the 'Countdown' clock music; very funny (and lucrative!) how it came about. Brian B was in attendance sitting alongside Clem Cattini- all in all, a tremendous night of high class music and composers and their compositions. Some examples of the themes played were 'Coast', 'Grandstand' and many others whose working titles were totally unrelated to the item they were used for! Great night!
Maurice

Sounds like a wonderful experience! Has this concert been recorded?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Brian Bennett & Alan Hawkshaw Talk + KPM All Stars gig

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am

There were plenty of amateur attempts going on: I was one of them!

An audio recording of the whole performance was made by Soho Radio and has been published here https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/the-kpm-all-stars-live-at-the-british-library-06102018/. To recreate the experience of the occasion you will need to play this as loud as you can stand on the best stereo system you can access! I am sorry to say, though, that there is distortion on the recording.

I don't know whether any professional video was shot. YouTube is filling up with stuff though. Here's a clip for example.

Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Re: Brian Bennett & Alan Hawkshaw Talk + KPM All Stars gig

Postby George Geddes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Excellent --- but now I have the Grandstand theme as an earworm...

George
George Geddes

Return to The Shadows