Shadows Live at the BBC????

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC????

Postby iefje » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 am

drakula63 wrote:I sat and listened to the whole album again last night, on a different system, and the versions of 'JJ' and 'TAATM' are definitely both from Rocking'... - although they do sound slightly different to the extent that a little bit of remixing or something might have been done. But essentially you are hearing the same thing as on the album. I also played the actual versions from the Sounds on Sunday show - and they are wildly different, to the extent that you wouldn't confuse them with the originals. A real mystery this, but I can only reiterate my theories that someone at the Beeb handed over the wrong tapes! What is such a shame is that if they'd come to virtually anyone on this forum, I suspect that we could have had a listen and said "Whoa! That's not right!" I am now wondering if they may have to repress the CD as they are effectively passing off EMI recordings as BBC recordings. Any thoughts?

The reason why "Jungle Jam" and "Turn Around And Touch Me" have been presented by the original studio versions, is maybe because one of The Shadows' members didn't find the quality of the actual BBC versions good enough for release, so they jumped the gun by remixing the original studio versions and present them as 'alternative' or 'radio' versions. This has also been done with some tracks by The Who.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 am

iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:I sat and listened to the whole album again last night, on a different system, and the versions of 'JJ' and 'TAATM' are definitely both from Rocking'... - although they do sound slightly different to the extent that a little bit of remixing or something might have been done. But essentially you are hearing the same thing as on the album. I also played the actual versions from the Sounds on Sunday show - and they are wildly different, to the extent that you wouldn't confuse them with the originals. A real mystery this, but I can only reiterate my theories that someone at the Beeb handed over the wrong tapes! What is such a shame is that if they'd come to virtually anyone on this forum, I suspect that we could have had a listen and said "Whoa! That's not right!" I am now wondering if they may have to repress the CD as they are effectively passing off EMI recordings as BBC recordings. Any thoughts?

The reason why "Jungle Jam" and "Turn Around And Touch Me" have been presented by the original studio versions, is maybe because one of The Shadows' members didn't find the quality of the actual BBC versions good enough for release, so they jumped the gun by remixing the original studio versions and present them as 'alternative' or 'radio' versions. This has also been done with some tracks by The Who.

This COULD be the case, but they have given no indication of this on the packaging and indeed state that these tracks were a 'BBC Session from 10th December 1973'. So very misleading. I still prefer the theory that it was a cock up by the BBC! I am wondering also why they didn't include Flingel Bunt, Frightened City, Dance On from this programme - although, it is possible that these too may have been deemed unsatisfactory by someone. Perhaps more information will be forthcoming...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Jetblack56 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:49 am

Hi all,

well the new CD "Shadows Live at the BBC,IS OUT TODAY then.

I am a lifelong Shadows fan,and have seen them LIVE, on various occasion's.The best was HERE in Hemel Hempstead,in the OLD PAVILION.
The acoustics in that relatively small place that night were !! amazing !!. I sat there stunned for a while,at how this LIVE concert sounded so close the the studio stuff.

They went through all the old tracks,APACHE,FBI,WONDERFUL LAND,etc. Then after the concert I actually got to shake the great man's hand.Problem was,I was so in awe of "MY HERO" I couldn,t get any words out ha ha ha .

Anyway the point IS, I hope they sound better than they did on "SATURDAY CLUB" all those year's ago,because the LIVE recordings they did on SATURDAY CLUB
sounded bloody awful. Like this example in the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_pWOWRTJOw

regards

Stephano
Jetblack56

Full Real Name: Stephan Sanseverino

Postby iefje » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am

Jetblack56 wrote:Anyway the point IS, I hope they sound better than they did on "SATURDAY CLUB" all those year's ago,because the LIVE recordings they did on SATURDAY CLUB

regards

Stephano

Do you think it sounds awful or is it badly performed or both?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Jetblack56 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:47 pm

What I DO think honestly,that I COULD PLAY,AND SOUND BETTER THAN THAT, as I think most on HERE could.

Stephano
Jetblack56

Full Real Name: Stephan Sanseverino

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:27 pm

I am confident that Turn Around And Touch Me is the same recording as the commercial release. I put the two tracks parallel in a multi-track mixer. The wave forms look the same, and I got the "phasing" effect that only happens when two identical sound sources are played exactly together.

The same is true of Jungle Jam.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm

The earlier numbers show the jaunty bass playing of John Rostill at its best.

Shame about the Brian Matthew voiceovers which I think have not dated as well as the music, but it's nice to be reminded of his voice.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby StuartD » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:37 pm

You are so right Iain. It just makes you realise what a tremendous bass player John Rostill was and how influential he was in this period. We were so lucky to have him in the band even for such a short time.
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Based upon my assumption that the two LP tracks were included by mistake, my suggestion for Vol 2 would be as follows:

Dance On
Nivram
(1963)

All the Marvin Welch & Farrar material from the period 1971-1972 that exists:
Throw Down a Line
You're Burning Bridges
Faithful
Silvery Rain
Lady of the Morning
Brownie Kentucky
Marmaduke
Mr. Sun
Lonesome Mole

Apache
The Frightened City
Dance On
Jungle Jam
Turn Around and Touch Me
The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt
(1973)

That's a total of 17 tracks and I believe that there may also be recordings of The Boys and Foot Tapper - also from 1963. I'm sure that most people would be happy to have the MWF stuff included as it represents another side of The Shadows, as it were, and it's not uncommon for solo stuff and associated acts to be included on band compilations.

Just a thought.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:33 pm

iefje wrote:
Jetblack56 wrote:Anyway the point IS, I hope they sound better than they did on "SATURDAY CLUB" all those year's ago,because the LIVE recordings they did on SATURDAY CLUB

regards

Stephano

iefje wrote:

regards

Stephano

That fact that Bruce is playing electric rhythm guitar, instead of Gibson acoustic, probably doesn't help. The all-electric instrumentation tends to make it sound pretty thin and tinny.

The radio session recording of Man of Mystery, also from 1960, features Bruce on acoustic which, to my ears, makes all the difference...

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows