Shadows Live at the BBC????

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC????

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:47 pm

So much confusion eh, everyone. Firstly.....the Saturday Club issue. On November 30th, 1967...The Shadows recorded the following tracks for Saturday Club (This is specified on their BBC contract. Ref.No. TLN 48/PL891Q). The Tokaido Line / Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad? / The Wild Roses / Lara's Theme. But (as Ulrich points out, Brian Matthew was not the host of Saturday Club at that time...but, those tracks were broadcast on Saturday Club - as confirmed by the BBC's own highly detailed PAB log - on December 16th, 1967..in fact that was their last appearance on Saturday Club). So....what about Brian Matthew & Top of the Pops (radio)??*

As part of their contract, clause 19 (d) covered the use of the recordings for the BBC Transcription Disc Service (viz the Radio Series TOTP). This excluded the UK, but covered 3 main areas - The British Commonwealth & South Africa (£24.00) / The U.S.A. and its Territorial Possessions (£12.00)/ The Rest of the World (£12.00). Total fee for Transcription Discs usage - £48.00

* Hence - although these recordings were made for Saturday Club, they were also used for the TOTPops transcription disc series. As I mentioned earlier - the BBC simply arranged for Brian Matthew to drop by the studio (Maida Vale 4) in order to do his interviews.

"Turn Around And Touch Me" / "Jungle Jam"...these were recorded for "Top Gear" on December 10th, 1973 (along with..."Nivram" & "Wonderful Land"). The last two tracks were put out on the new CD - the other two were not...but they ARE in the BBC Sound Archive. There is a Radio International (formerly TOTP) Transcription Disc in the BBC's possession (Programme #476). This contains "Apache" / "Turn Around and Touch Me" / "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt". I cannot confirm it, but it is likely that these recordings are from 1974's "Sounds On Sunday" (John Peel Session).

Oh dear, fellow Shadows fans........why were the tracks from "Sounds On Sunday" not used. Hmmmmmm?? Red faces all around....simply because the BBC contrived to lose the master tapes (they are no longer at the BBC...having either been lost or erroneously wiped). But.....they could have used the three tracks from Transcription Disc #476. The "Sounds On Sunday" version of "Apache" lasts for c.2'57" (if that helps). Complicated - isn't it???
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:15 pm

If it helps at any stage, I have all of those three "missing" tracks, in stereo, on a HQ dub (to DAT) from the assembled BBC broadcast tape. Due to the circumstances in which the tape came into my possession, there can be no question of sending copies to other collectors (I'm afraid), but if Parlophone or the BBC need them, they're here.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:34 pm

What about "Sounds On Sunday" Jim??
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Arpeggio wrote:What about "Sounds On Sunday" Jim??

I believe that these tracks were variously used for the 1973 programmes listed above and for "Sounds On Sunday" in 1974. This would have been well within the BBC policy of using their own studio recordings more than once (but probably not more than two or three times).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 pm

Oh dear, fellow Shadows fans........why were the tracks from "Sounds On Sunday" not used. Hmmmmmm?? Red faces all around....simply because the BBC contrived to lose the master tapes (they are no longer at the BBC...having either been lost or erroneously wiped). But.....they could have used the three tracks from Transcription Disc #476. The "Sounds On Sunday" version of "Apache" lasts for c.2'57" (if that helps). Complicated - isn't it???

Ridiculous! But at least copies of the programme DO exist (I've got a couple and I'm sure many of us here have). I also have a CD with most of the individual tracks on - not just as part of the programme. Strangely, Jungle Jam is the only one that I don't have in this form. The quality is pretty good too. I've had these recordings for about 20 years and I'll assume that these were from the recording session master tapes prior to broadcast.

So there has been the usual lack of care at the BBC that has caused so many programmes to vanish into the ether... never to be seen or heard again. A shame, but an acceptable Vol 2 could still happen with all the tracks we have named.
Last edited by drakula63 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:36 pm

I wonder if either the BBC or Parlophone will own up to this mistake.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby bob t » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 am

drakula63 wrote:
bob t wrote:
drakula63 wrote:I find this intriguing...

"Faithful", "My Home Town" and "You're Burning Bridges" (all from 18.01.1971) were used for the BBC TV TOTP broadcasted on 18.02.1971.

I can't think of any scenario where these three (non hits) would be shown on this programme - unless it was a 'special edition' of some kind. I imagine it is too much to hope that it is still in existence in video form? If the audio recordings do indeed still exist, then this is great news. Still a bit odd though.

One thing which personally is a shame, is that I used to be very close friends with someone who works at the BBC. Sadly we are not as friendly as we were, since disagreeing on one or two things in a big way. For all the obvious reasons, it's handy having an 'inside man', so to speak, as they can... no, better not say any more! But, suffice to say, once upon a time I could probably have got all this stuff without too much problem.

I suppose it's true that unless someone is really personally interested in something, then they are going to make the inevitable screw up. In the case of this new CD, mostly it seems to be a case of either presenting the right information but the wrong recordings, or the wrong information and the right recordings. A little bit more digging and care might have made this release even better than it was. I suspect that they wanted to keep it to 21 tracks and therefore had to leave out some of the stuff they had found - personally I would have included both Foot Tapper and Dance On from 1963, as then you'd have had two more number ones! As it is, they chose to go with mainly the lesser known stuff, which probably suits the hardcore fans more. Both the BBC and EMI seemed to have been a bit negligent this time, so maybe if we all complain, they'll get it right next time...?

Hi Chris

The 3 tracks were definitely on TOTP as stated, I remember watching it. at the time TOTP used to have an album slot and a band would play 3 tracks from the new LP.
The recording in Audio form was circulating as I downloaded a recording of it, probably off You Tube but can't be sure as it's been some years ago.

Bob

Blimey! I had no idea that they used to have an 'album slot' - featuring MWF was quite a compliment when you think about it and what else must have been released at about that time. By the time I started to watch TOTP (late '70s) I don't recall any such slot. What a shame that the BBC, in their wisdom, wiped so many editions of TOTP. Oh well, if the soundtrack still exists that is something. Ta.

HI Chris

These tracks have just been posted on Facebook on the group pages Marvin Welch and Farrar & World of the Shadows if you are interested

Bob
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:51 am

...Thanks Bob. :thumbup:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am

I got my copy two days ago and have listened to the first fifteen tracks so far. I must say it's great to finally have these tracks officially and in first-rate sound. Having known these BBC versions for quite a few years now, I do miss all the interview sections between some of the tracks. What would have also added to the overall package, is some liner-notes.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:26 pm

The powers that be do listen Tim Chacksield ' s name is mentioned on the CD. But...he did NOT oversee the project. He has been in touch. He is dismayed by the errors and he has vowed to put things right. He is a man of his word. Watch this space....
Arpeggio

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows