Shadows Live at the BBC????

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC????

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:13 pm

I have been doing some further researches into the 'Top Gear' / 'S.O. Sunday' conundrum. Again...watch this space....
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:23 pm

I have about 30 Shadows CD's.

Is it worth me buying this CD. i.e. is there anything of interest on it?
I can't see the point in buying stuff just cos its my favourite group, if it does not add anything of note.

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:57 pm

There is no new tune on it. What you get are live performances by the Shadows of the material also available on record.

If that appeals to you, go for it. If not, you've already got the commercial versions of all the music I'm sure!

Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Buy it.

Unless you're talking about bootleg CDs, you won't have anything here on an officially licenced or released Shadows CD. The tunes may be old, but the versions are certainly new to me (with just a couple of exceptions). It's not exactly expensive, so my advice would be buy it. And even if you have got the tunes on bootleg CDs, buy it anyway - because it'll probably sound better than the bootlegs and it might encourage them to release more!

P.S. Buy it.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 pm

I'd be interested to know how many copies this has sold so far, enough to hopefully encourage a volume 2!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Tim Chacksfield (who actually had nothing whatsoever to do with this CD) takes fan's / people's views / complaints very seriously indeed. So, he is now looking into the two 'rogue' tracks on "The Shadows At The BBC", with a view to (hopefully) getting them replaced with the correct BBC versions. He has enlisted the help of both myself (now re-visiting all of my original researches from nearly 20 years ago) and Jim Nugent. I shall keep everyone updated. Whether or not the BBC can be prevailed upon to also add the remaining unissued later BBC tracks ("Dance On!" / "The Frightened City" / "The Rise & Fall Of Flingle Bunt") is pure conjecture on my part......but I will at least ask Tim Chacksfield if it might be a possibility or not. Meanwhile...for fans who do not already have this BBC material at all.....at just £5.99, the present CD (although 'cheap & cheerful') is an absolute steal. I picked up an error in the very basic annotation though..."Apache" recorded for Saturday Club in November, 1973?? Erm.....no. Saturday Club ceased to exist in February, 1969.
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Tim Chacksfield (who actually had nothing whatsoever to do with this CD) takes fan's / people's views / complaints very seriously indeed. So, he is now looking into the two 'rogue' tracks on "The Shadows At The BBC", with a view to (hopefully) getting them replaced with the correct BBC versions. He has enlisted the help of both myself (now re-visiting all of my original researches from nearly 20 years ago) and Jim Nugent. I shall keep everyone updated. Whether or not the BBC can be prevailed upon to also add the remaining unissued later BBC tracks ("Dance On!" / "The Frightened City" / "The Rise & Fall Of Flingle Bunt") is pure conjecture on my part......but I will at least ask Tim Chacksfield if it might be a possibility or not. Meanwhile...for fans who do not already have this BBC material at all.....at just £5.99, the present CD (although 'cheap & cheerful') is an absolute steal. I picked up an error in the very basic annotation though..."Apache" recorded for Saturday Club in November, 1973?? Erm.....no. Saturday Club ceased to exist in February, 1969.

Good news.

Whilst I can appreciate the necessity and comparative ease with which they could replace the two wrongly attributed tracks, I suspect that to add more would be slightly more problematic - unless they were 'hidden' bonus tracks, they would really have to reprint all the CD packaging too. It might be more viable, if they are going to do this, to release a volume 2 with all the outstanding BBC Shadows and MWF tracks as discussed earlier on this thread.

EDIT: So it still remains a mystery as to what the 1973 version of Apache was intended for? Worth remembering that there is another version of Apache (as played on SoS) that should be added to Dance On, Flingel Bunt and Frightened City.
drakula63

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:48 pm

As it transpires....there IS only one version of "Apache" - recorded on 28 / 11 / 1973....as were all of the other tracks.
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Arpeggio wrote:As it transpires....there IS only one version of "Apache" - recorded on 28 / 11 / 1973....as were all of the other tracks.

Don't quite understand that.

Apache, track 17 on the Live at the BBC CD and the version of Apache as heard on Sounds on Sunday are very similar, but different. Brian uses the tom-toms far more on the SoS version - even to the point of emphasising the last seven notes. So there are definitely two different versions.

Also, if they were all recorded on the 28th of November, what was recorded on 10th December 1973...?

Sorry for being so pedantic.
drakula63

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 am

All will be revealed in due course. Going back to a previous post. I think you are correct about the likelihood of only turn Around And Touch Me and Jungle Jam being replaced, thereby enabling the packaging etc to remain as it is.

I will certainly mention to Tim Chacksfield the possibility of maybe issuing the Marvin, Welch & Farrar material...we can but try to get it out there. But....someone has to decide whether or not it is a commercially viable project.
Arpeggio

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows