Shadows Live at the BBC????

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC????

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:23 pm

I find this intriguing...

"Faithful", "My Home Town" and "You're Burning Bridges" (all from 18.01.1971) were used for the BBC TV TOTP broadcasted on 18.02.1971.

I can't think of any scenario where these three (non hits) would be shown on this programme - unless it was a 'special edition' of some kind. I imagine it is too much to hope that it is still in existence in video form? If the audio recordings do indeed still exist, then this is great news. Still a bit odd though.

One thing which personally is a shame, is that I used to be very close friends with someone who works at the BBC. Sadly we are not as friendly as we were, since disagreeing on one or two things in a big way. For all the obvious reasons, it's handy having an 'inside man', so to speak, as they can... no, better not say any more! But, suffice to say, once upon a time I could probably have got all this stuff without too much problem.

I suppose it's true that unless someone is really personally interested in something, then they are going to make the inevitable screw up. In the case of this new CD, mostly it seems to be a case of either presenting the right information but the wrong recordings, or the wrong information and the right recordings. A little bit more digging and care might have made this release even better than it was. I suspect that they wanted to keep it to 21 tracks and therefore had to leave out some of the stuff they had found - personally I would have included both Foot Tapper and Dance On from 1963, as then you'd have had two more number ones! As it is, they chose to go with mainly the lesser known stuff, which probably suits the hardcore fans more. Both the BBC and EMI seemed to have been a bit negligent this time, so maybe if we all complain, they'll get it right next time...?
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby bob t » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:34 am

drakula63 wrote:I find this intriguing...

"Faithful", "My Home Town" and "You're Burning Bridges" (all from 18.01.1971) were used for the BBC TV TOTP broadcasted on 18.02.1971.

I can't think of any scenario where these three (non hits) would be shown on this programme - unless it was a 'special edition' of some kind. I imagine it is too much to hope that it is still in existence in video form? If the audio recordings do indeed still exist, then this is great news. Still a bit odd though.

One thing which personally is a shame, is that I used to be very close friends with someone who works at the BBC. Sadly we are not as friendly as we were, since disagreeing on one or two things in a big way. For all the obvious reasons, it's handy having an 'inside man', so to speak, as they can... no, better not say any more! But, suffice to say, once upon a time I could probably have got all this stuff without too much problem.

I suppose it's true that unless someone is really personally interested in something, then they are going to make the inevitable screw up. In the case of this new CD, mostly it seems to be a case of either presenting the right information but the wrong recordings, or the wrong information and the right recordings. A little bit more digging and care might have made this release even better than it was. I suspect that they wanted to keep it to 21 tracks and therefore had to leave out some of the stuff they had found - personally I would have included both Foot Tapper and Dance On from 1963, as then you'd have had two more number ones! As it is, they chose to go with mainly the lesser known stuff, which probably suits the hardcore fans more. Both the BBC and EMI seemed to have been a bit negligent this time, so maybe if we all complain, they'll get it right next time...?

Hi Chris

The 3 tracks were definitely on TOTP as stated, I remember watching it. at the time TOTP used to have an album slot and a band would play 3 tracks from the new LP.
The recording in Audio form was circulating as I downloaded a recording of it, probably off You Tube but can't be sure as it's been some years ago.

Bob
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby drakula63 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 am

bob t wrote:
drakula63 wrote:I find this intriguing...

Hi Chris

The 3 tracks were definitely on TOTP as stated, I remember watching it. at the time TOTP used to have an album slot and a band would play 3 tracks from the new LP.
The recording in Audio form was circulating as I downloaded a recording of it, probably off You Tube but can't be sure as it's been some years ago.

Bob

Blimey! I had no idea that they used to have an 'album slot' - featuring MWF was quite a compliment when you think about it and what else must have been released at about that time. By the time I started to watch TOTP (late '70s) I don't recall any such slot. What a shame that the BBC, in their wisdom, wiped so many editions of TOTP. Oh well, if the soundtrack still exists that is something. Ta.
drakula63

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 am

Speaking as a retired staff member at the BBC World Service I can confirm that there was a radio music programme called Top of the Pops, presented by Brian Matthew and broadcast worldwide but not in the UK. Recordings for this programme were used on the CD but wrongly attributed to Saturday Club.

The attribution of two EMI tracks to live sessions for Radio 1 is, of course, untrue and dishonest. Since the tracks are described on the digipak as "licensed courtesy of BBC Studios", I have written to the CEO of BBC Studios seeking an explanation and asking what the BBC intends to do about making the correct recordings available.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am

It has just occured to me (a bit slow on the uptake) that the 1974 broadcast edition of 'Sounds on Sunday' is NOT 'officially' represented on this CD at all.

Having not known about the Christmas Day '73 programme until now, it seems to me that the four tracks that 'overlap' (i.e appear on both) are the ones represented: Nivram, Wonderful Land, Jungle Jam and Turn Around and Touch Me. Therefore it's the Christmas Day 1973 programme that is represented here and NOT Sounds on Sunday (or it WOULD be if the BBC recordings of JJ and TAATM had been used!). Hope that makes sense. What all this means is that the SoS programme is not really represented here at all as such, so the outstanding tracks (Apache, Dance On, Frightened City, Flingel Bunt and the true BBC records of JJ and TAATM) are still Missing in Action (or maybe that should be Missing in Acton?). This raises the question 'Are they even aware of this programme?'.

All this points to a strong case for a Volume 2 in which all this loose ends could be tied up.
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 am

I was wondering but would the boys need to have given clearance for this to be released? I ask as i wonder if they would need to listen to it and think 'Hang on, that's the studio recording!'.
Or perhaps they just need to 'give the nod' for it to be released.
Also, i'm pleased this finally saw the light of day but it seems to have been 'thrown out' there with little thought. No liner notes, no interviews with the boys, (possible) incorrect shows listed but i did like the 'moody' cover photo.
I hope for a volume 2 but i won't hold my breath.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:09 pm

A couple of final thoughts that have occurred to me...

1) In response to Fenderman above. I wonder how many times Hank, Bruce, Brian or John F. have listened to any of these tracks since 1973? WE would be able to tell the difference immediately between the original and a re-recording, but would they? Would you be intimately familiar with something you recorded 45 years ago if you have maybe only heard it twice since? I get the impression from interviews that they don't listen to their old records unless they have to, so it's safe to assume that we have all heard these tunes hundreds perhaps even thousands of times more than they have!

2) Is it at all possible that the original EMI versions of 'Jungle Jam' and 'Turn Around and Touch Me' were played on Top Gear on 25/12/73 and NOT the BBC recordings? This could explain how and why the mistake has occurred. Otherwise, I simply have no more suggestions to attempt to explain it. Maybe Iain's letter will bring the answers...
drakula63

Postby alewis41 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Speaking as a retired staff member at the BBC World Service I can confirm that there was a radio music programme called Top of the Pops, presented by Brian Matthew and broadcast worldwide but not in the UK. Recordings for this programme were used on the CD but wrongly attributed to Saturday Club.

The attribution of two EMI tracks to live sessions for Radio 1 is, of course, untrue and dishonest. Since the tracks are described on the digipak as "licensed courtesy of BBC Studios", I have written to the CEO of BBC Studios seeking an explanation and asking what the BBC intends to do about making the correct recordings available.

Thank You Iain!

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC

Postby UlrichS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:59 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Speaking as a retired staff member at the BBC World Service I can confirm that there was a radio music programme called Top of the Pops, presented by Brian Matthew and broadcast worldwide but not in the UK. ...

Hi Iain,
did I get your remarks right that Top Of The Pops was a TV programme in the UK and a radio programme overseas? If so, this would clear some mysteries for me.
Best wishes,
Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Fenderman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:22 pm

I believe Top of the pops was a BBC radio show that was broadcast in other countries (but not the UK). The BBC would send out recordings on transcription discs to various radio stations which is the source now for most 'At the BBC' releases, that's why you hear Brian Matthew introducing some tracks.
Top of the pops in the UK was a BBC TV show that ran for many years.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows