Shadows Live at the BBC????

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Live at the BBC????

Postby Uncleboko » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Just downloading the CD from Spotify to play in my car loud!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby Fenderman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:45 pm

I'll bet these tracks are probably on YouTube already - that'll help the sales figures!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncleboko » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Uncleboko wrote:Just downloading the CD from Spotify to play in my car loud!

Apache sounds wonderful but the rest is very twee regretably.
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby johnc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Fenderman wrote:I'll bet these tracks are probably on YouTube already - that'll help the sales figures!

Yes- some have been posted already...I had a listen earlier ..
johnc

Postby Fenderman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:07 pm

I'm playing Jungle Jam and i'm 100% certain it's the EMI version. In fact i'm 1000% certain!
Somebody handed over the wrong tape!
Fenderman

Postby Fenderman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 pm

Also, the liner notes state that 'Apache' was recorded for Saturday Club in November 1973, that show had been axed back in 1969 so seems like this must be incorrect. Was this also recorded for the John Peel sessions? The plot thickens...
Fenderman

Postby drakula63 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 am

Fenderman wrote:Also, the liner notes state that 'Apache' was recorded for Saturday Club in November 1973, that show had been axed back in 1969 so seems like this must be incorrect. Was this also recorded for the John Peel sessions? The plot thickens...

As I think I stated earlier, 'Apache' is DEFINITELY NOT the version heard on the John Peel Sounds on Sunday Show.

If you listen to this The BBC Sounds on Sunday versions of Jungle Jam and Apache can be heard at 2.15 and 5.34 respectively...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuiPdWJqA0
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi all,

It took a few days more to get the CD on the continent, so please excuse the late comment.

The given dates are most likely the recording dates as they don't fit in with the two radio programmes which mainly broadcasted these recordings, 'Saturday Club' and 'Top Of The Pops'.
All tracks up to 'Naughty Nippon Nights' have been featured in both programmes, with the exception of 'I Met A Girl' and 'Shindig' which were never transmitted on 'Saturday Club'.
I have never heard a complete programme of 'Saturday Club", but I have complete recordings of all TOTP programmes featuring Shadows tracks. They were all available on BBC Transcription Discs.
I have compared the tracks from the CD with the TOTP recordings. As expected, they are identical, even all the tracks on the CD with talking into, over or past them by Brian Matthew are exactly as on the Transcription Discs. Additionally, Keith Skues took over from Brian Matthew with Saturday Club #469 (30.09.1967), so 'The Wild Roses', 'Evening Glow' and 'Naughty Nippon Nights' which have Brian Matthew talking cannot origin from 'Saturday Club'.
I am quite sure that the first 16 tracks from the CD have been taken from recordings which were made by the BBC for the Transcription Disc Service.

As was already said, 'Apache' is definitely not from John Peel's "Sounds On Sunday" programme, which was broadcasted on 24.03.1974. However, I could not find out any programme where this track could have come from.

If the BBC should be interested in a volume 2 - AND - the TOTP recordings are the only source, my suggestion would be TOTP # 326 from February 1971 ('Throw Down A Line', 'You're Burning Bridges' and 'Faithful'), TOTP #349 from July 1971 (talk with Hank, Bruce & John incl. reciting a poem, 'Silvery Rain', 'Lady Of The Morning' and 'Brownie Kentucky') and TOTP 392 from May 1972 ('Marmaduke', 'Mr. Sun' and 'Lonesome Mole').
From the Transcription Discs of "The Star Show", which was recorded for the overseas British Forces Broadcast Service only, the programmes #20 and #24 could add recordings of 'Dance On', 'The Boys', 'Nivram and 'Foot Tapper', all with Brian Locking on bass guitar.

Apologies for taking your time, the bean counter in me took over.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby alewis41 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 am

UlrichS wrote:Hi all,

It took a few days more to get the CD on the continent, so please excuse the late comment.

The given dates are most likely the recording dates as they don't fit in with the two radio programmes which mainly broadcasted these recordings, 'Saturday Club' and 'Top Of The Pops'.
All tracks up to 'Naughty Nippon Nights' have been featured in both programmes, with the exception of 'I Met A Girl' and 'Shindig' which were never transmitted on 'Saturday Club'.
I have never heard a complete programme of 'Saturday Club", but I have complete recordings of all TOTP programmes featuring Shadows tracks. They were all available on BBC Transcription Discs.
I have compared the tracks from the CD with the TOTP recordings. As expected, they are identical, even all the tracks on the CD with talking into, over or past them by Brian Matthew are exactly as on the Transcription Discs. Additionally, Keith Skues took over from Brian Matthew with Saturday Club #469 (30.09.1967), so 'The Wild Roses', 'Evening Glow' and 'Naughty Nippon Nights' which have Brian Matthew talking cannot origin from 'Saturday Club'.
I am quite sure that the first 16 tracks from the CD have been taken from recordings which were made by the BBC for the Transcription Disc Service.

As was already said, 'Apache' is definitely not from John Peel's "Sounds On Sunday" programme, which was broadcasted on 24.03.1974. However, I could not find out any programme where this track could have come from.

If the BBC should be interested in a volume 2 - AND - the TOTP recordings are the only source, my suggestion would be TOTP # 326 from February 1971 ('Throw Down A Line', 'You're Burning Bridges' and 'Faithful'), TOTP #349 from July 1971 (talk with Hank, Bruce & John incl. reciting a poem, 'Silvery Rain', 'Lady Of The Morning' and 'Brownie Kentucky') and TOTP 392 from May 1972 ('Marmaduke', 'Mr. Sun' and 'Lonesome Mole').
From the Transcription Discs of "The Star Show", which was recorded for the overseas British Forces Broadcast Service only, the programmes #20 and #24 could add recordings of 'Dance On', 'The Boys', 'Nivram and 'Foot Tapper', all with Brian Locking on bass guitar.

Apologies for taking your time, the bean counter in me took over.

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

This is very interesting info, as always.

Did those TOTP episodes survive on video also?

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby UlrichS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Andrew,

There are two kinds of TOTP, one on radio and one on TV. The ones I am referring have been broadcasted on radio. Sorry, if I have to disappoint hopes.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows