The Shads, Cliff and Lady Penelope

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and directly Shadows-related activity

Moderators: dave robinson, David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shads, Cliff and Lady Penelope

Postby shadowriter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Just looking for Ike Isaacs guitar version of Nocturne in eflat on you tube and up came a clip of Lady Penelope at the Shooting Star club with Cliff and the Shadows playing shooting star. Such a funny clip, it really cracked me up although I'm probably the only one who has never seen it before, a definate bookmark for when I need a smile.
Does anyone know the little bits that the shads play?

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Re: The Shads, Cliff and Lady Penelope

Postby drakula63 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 pm

The tune they play is 'Lady Penelope' - to be featured on the forthcoming CD 'The Shadows Live at the BBC'. Albeit an alternative version.

We also hear the Thunderbirds theme, but I don't think this is actually the Shads version, although it sounds close.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby flingelbunt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

They back Cliff Junior or 'Son of Cliff '(?) on a number the Shadows wrote called 'Shooting Star'. All a bit twee really, but 'Lady Penelope' is a typical tune of that period. The EP features the Shadows playing the Thunderbirds Theme and Zero X but I don't think these were used in the film version. I'll get me anorak and exeunt stage left..........
flingelbunt

Full Real Name: Maurice Woodcroft

Postby iefje » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am

In the film, they are billed as 'Cliff Richard Jnr. and The Sons Of The Shadows'. Their own compositions "Lady Penelope" (by The Shadows) and "Shooting Star" (by Cliff Richard & The Shadows) are performed by them in the film. Incidentally, the version of "Lady Penelope" in the film is edited and also omits Hank's second lead guitar part. The film version of "Shooting Star" is a somewhat different mix, compared to the EP version.
The Shadows' instrumental versions of "Thunderbirds Theme" and "Zero X Theme" only feature on the EP, while the film features Barry Gray's original orchestral arrangements of the two themes.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 am

By the way, I think the puppet of John Rostill looks a little bit like the one of Virgil Tracy.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows