Bruce back on stage at The London Palladium!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bruce back on stage at The London Palladium!

Postby RayL » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:35 am

Bruce was the surprise guest on Duane Eddy's show at The London Palladium last night (Tuesday 23rd October). After a warm introduction by Duane, he played a vigourous rhythm guitar on Shazam which, as Duane remarked, both he (Duane) and The Shadows had recorded. No, Bruce didn't bring 34346, he played a black Strat.

Pictures were difficult. There were 'heavies' keeping a eye on use of cameras, but Arthur Moir, Chair of the Duane Eddy Circle, has already put this link on line https://www.rexfeatures.com/search/?kw= ... er=&iprs=f

As you can see, there were many backstage guests from the world of rock and pop, all anxious to be there on what will probably be Duane's last UK tour. He is now 80 years old but his show ran for an hour-and-three-quarters with Duane on stage the whole time. All the hits were played, Rebel Rouser, Because They' re Young, Dance With The Guitar Man, Peter Gunn, and many, many more.

Apart from Bruce, other on-stage guests were Richard Hawley (Duane once again used Richard's band, with the addition of Paul Corey on sax and flute) and Imelda May..

A great night.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Bruce back on stage at The London Palladium!

Postby johnc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Bruce's Strat looks like it's sunburst from the stage performance pics...
johnc

Postby MikeAB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:55 pm

What a night.

Too much to hope for Bruce at Manchester as well I suppose but I did hear Duane say on the radio that Albert Lee would be a guest - so maybe next week?
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am

That must have been a great show. Fantastic pictures too! Has this show been recorded and/or filmed for a possible official live release? Duane has never released any official live recordings.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby leosden » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 pm

We understand that the concert was available on double CD at the end of the show.........how's that for speed. Haven't heard it yet but suggest you contact Arthur at the Duane Eddy Circle for more info. We had to rush off after the show and only learned about it the next day. Bruce was so excited to have been asked - what an honour.
Pat
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Postby MikeAB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:11 am

Really enjoyed Robert Vincent as Duane's support in Manchester - he seems to be an unsung talent. Try out 'Riot's Cry'.
MikeAB

Postby Uncleboko » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 pm

It seems that the Palladium show is here!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXepMllV2I
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby RayL » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 am

MikeAB wrote:Really enjoyed Robert Vincent as Duane's support in Manchester - he seems to be an unsung talent. Try out 'Riot's Cry'.

Hmm. The audience at the Palladium was held in the bar areas until very close to start time while Robert Vincent's sound-check overran. We could hear 'thunder' coming through the ceiling. When they started playing my first reaction was that the balance was wrong - too much bass drum and bass guitar*. Some of the songs were good, but Robert Vincent behaved throughout as if they were playing at a pub on a quiet Thursday - too casual. The polite but hardly overwhelming applause summed it up.

By contrast, the sound balance for Duane was excellent.

*after Robert Vincent's first tune, I put in the earplugs that I'd brought 'just in case'. I didn't need them for Duane.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby MikeAB » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:50 am

Interesting about sound - the Bridgewater Hall is a venue I avoid like the plague if possible as the cavernous nature of it creates horrible echoes and the bass lines are usually too strong or too weak etc. Vincent sounded great where I sat, but I have seen Hank there with far too much bass and Steve Hackett with an echoing trebly cacophony that was so bad I left half way. Interesting that a double bass was used in Vincent's band and not a guitar, producing some great bass driven rhythms I thought. The whole evening had a 'friends' together feel, mainly with Duane of course. I'd like to see Vincent again certainly - everyone at the Bridgewater seemed very impressed. Shame if the Palladium gig let him down as he deserves better.
MikeAB

Postby 362436 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Many thanks Stephen for the You Tube post.
Sunday morning here and still to get time to watch in full.
Cheers, Ian (Sydney Shadows Club). 8-)

Full Real Name: Ian Harris

Next

Return to The Shadows