Fandango

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fandango

Postby drakula63 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Don't believe I have ever seen THIS before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjVGGtPIlqY
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Fandango

Postby JimN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 am

I knew what it would be before I clicked it!

It was an extract from one of the several hour-long "spectaculars" made by Cliff Richard and The Shadows for ATV in 1965. They were shown by Granada in the north of England on mid-week nights that summer, though it is possible that ATV treated them as prestige fare for their London franchise (where they had the weekends).

Another thing I recall about that series is that Liza Minelli made her first UK TV appearance on one of them. The TV Times said it was her 21st birthday, I think. Although hrr famous parentage was mentioned, I'd certainly never heard of her before.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 am

I was hoping this would be an open air performance of Fandango recorded in the Canaries during the making of Wonderful Life. I saw it at the time but never again since. Oh well. (By the way, note the lack of sync in the footwork!)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby strongbow » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:48 pm

The show with Liza Minnelli was the previous year.

It was recorded on June 30, 1964, and scheduled for transmission on July 1, which would have been the day before the Wonderful Life premiere. However, an ITV strike caused the broadcast to be postponed by two weeks to July 15.

Fandango was one of the two numbers featuring the Shadows. If I remember correctly, they wore matador costumes. Their other number was Flingel Bunt.

They were also involved backing Cliff and -- particularly Hank -- took part in several comedy bits.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Postby strongbow » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Just to be clear, my reference to the Shads in the prior post is to their participation in the July 1964 spectacular.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Return to The Shadows