Every Mistake Imaginable !!!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Every Mistake Imaginable !!!

Postby drakula63 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm

In the wake of the 'Shadows Live at the BBC' fiasco, I was amused to see (elsewhere) someone refer to EMI as 'Every Mistake Imaginable'. :lol:

To be fair, I think in general EMI was a brilliant record company and in terms of 'sound' if nothing else, EMI's recordings always sounded incredible. However, certainly where the Shads are concerned, they seemed to make more than one cock up.

For example, I'd love to know how 'Roderigo's Guitar Concerto' got to be released as a single in late '79, when 'Riders in the Sky' was the clear front runner when they put it to the vote during the autumn tour. Let's assume that 'Riders...' wasn't ready at that point (editing, adding syndrums, etc...), then surely 'Parisienne Walkways' or 'Classical Gas' would have been better bets?

Similarly, in early 1980 - after 'Riders...' had been a hit and the Shads had left EMI - why, oh why, did EMI release 'Heart of Glass' as a single? Surely - the at that point unreleased - 'Black is Black' would have been the obvious choice?

Oh well, don't suppose it matters now. I just tend to think that they could have had a couple more top 20 hits under their belts if EMI had acted differently.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Every Mistake Imaginable !!!

Postby Fenderman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 pm

It's interesting that the singles hits dried up just after they left EMI. Maybe the singles choices weren't as good.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncleboko » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Fenderman wrote:It's interesting that the singles hits dried up just after they left EMI. Maybe the singles choices weren't as good.

Surely it was an influx of nancy-boys playing synths with one finger that brainwashed the young away from the Shadows!!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby Monty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:14 am

Sadly the choice of numbers as Shadows singles were often very hit and miss - mostly MISS - after 1967...! :?

in 1973 'Jungle Jam' picked up much more radio airplay than 'Turn Around And Touch Me' ever got...

for me 'Stand Up Like A Man' and 'Cool Clear Air' were wasted as non follow up either singles or as 'A' sides after 'Let Me Be The One' had made the UK chart

'Run Billy Run'....made me want to - fast !

'Love Defunct' did nothing for me either...or many UK record buyers as it sank without trace

later following three UK chart singles surely 'Parisienne Walkways' was by FAR the better choice as single than either 'Rodrigo' or 'Heart of Glass' ?

while later during the Polydor era they might have done better to release 'Riders of The Range', 'Queen of Hearts' (true guitar based instrumentals were considered out of date by then by many) and especially 'Nights in White Satin' as singles - the latter might well have charted

their 'modern' take on 'Diamonds' just made me want to hear Jet and Tony !!!!

'Treat Me Nice' ? - I'd rather 'Spot The Ball' any day

'Shoba' might have made a great single however... 8-)

putting out 'He Ain't Heavy' was pretty pointless I feel especially as The Hollies 1969 hit made no.1 in 1988 and it was SUCH a vocal number anyway it was never as strong in instrumental form I felt

'Memory' on the other hand just might have made a decent single as the melody was so strong and it was a good contrast (like 'Argentina') to a well known vocal version

'The Third Man' just crept into the lower UK chart but maybe 'Sailing' which again was a strong melody just might have worked as an instrumental single ?
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby drakula63 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Personally, I think 'The Third Man' was probably their best single of the Polydor years. It would have been a top ten (I'm 100% certain of that), had they been available for TOTP the week it became the highest climber of that week. Going on holiday was the biggest mistake they made during that period!

But back to EMI and I think they made a huge mistake in 1977 by not releasing 'Walk Don't Run' as a single. It was the only tune from 'Tasty' that they played on the May tour and their version is brilliant - more polished than the Ventures, but still as good. I think this would have been a top ten as well.

'Black is Black', whilst nowhere near as good as 'Riders in the Sky', shares the same DNA and would have been the obvious choice after 'Riders...'. I wonder if EMI had plans for 'Another String of Hits' album before the Shads jumped ship - and decided to release one anyway as a compilation as opposed to an album of new recordings? I imagine that 'Black is Black' sold that album, being the only new track on it, but why they didn't add the 'single mix' of 'Riders...' is also a mystery. Oh well, too late now!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:03 pm

I can't believe they released 'On a night like this' as a single. The lyrics were naff. Guardian Angel would have been better or maybe Can't play your game would have charted as it sounded very contemporary (for 1984 anyway!).
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby MikeAB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:18 pm

The record sales surely became virtually right down to the hard core fans - and those who pick up albums casually on a whim because they like the originals etc. Maybe the only way singles sales could have been kept up was if the singles were not on the albums as in days of yore, then each one would have at least sold to all the core fans for the sake of completion i.e. probably at least equal to the Guardian Angel LP sales. Also the classic Shads sound/style always tended to sell at any time i.e. not Rhythm and Greens/Love de Luxe/Billy etc but Argentina/Cavatina/Riders - so why not stay in that vein and trust that quality will out eventually. Non album tracks could have been for example Song for Duke/Walk Don't Run/Alamo/Riders of the Range etc. Mind you Elevenis was not an album track - but then should maybe have been the promoted A side? And as said before if you must have vocal singles Cool Clear Air, Stand Up Like a Man or Don't Throw It All Away were their best chances after what I think was a poor Eurovision song choice - and all missed.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Monty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Earlier over 1968 they seemed determined NOT to chart with singles ! :shock:

'Running Out of World' was a fine drivin' group song with a terrific guitar solo by Hank....however it ended up 'B' side to Hank's solo vocal for his little daughter 'London's Not Too Far' - guess what it flopped !

'Trying To Forget The One You Love' was a great vocal number with superb production...left in the queue behind OAP 'Dear Old Mrs Bell'...! :roll: :roll: - guess what it flopped !

even Hank's majestic guitar led instrumental 'Morning Star' 8-) was relegated to a mere 'B' side as 'Break Another Dawn' (an almost tuneless vocal item) attempted to tunnel out of jail and climb up the charts as 'A' side - guess what it flopped ! :lol:

those three singles at least if flipped might have made more impact...surely ?
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby JimN » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Sailing a "strong melody"?

Seriously?

It has almost no melody and no harmonic departure for a B-section (middle eight / sixteen whatever).

it is awful even as a song and must be a strong contender for the bottom five of all The Shadows' Polydor era recordings.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tone » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Jim

One man's meat etc!

I think it's a very nice melody and, yes, there's no middle 8 to speak of but Hank makes a great job of extemporising on the tune. There's a very atmospheric studio video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivQOBR ... rt_radio=1

It's had 100,000+ views so I guess others like it, not just me!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Next

Return to The Shadows