Brian Bennett drumming for Norrie Paramor

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Brian Bennett drumming for Norrie Paramor

Postby UlrichS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi all,

On eBay there is a Norrie Paramor Orchestra single on offer with a.o. the description that Brian Bennett is drumming:

The Norrie Paramor Orchestra: Soul Coaxing b/w Autumn In London Town, Columbia DB 8430, released 1968

This track, originating from the Norrie Paramor album of the same name, can also be heard on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tabwX3QbXw).
Can anybody confirm that Brian Bennett is playing the drums on this recording? Many thanks in advance.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Re: Brian Bennett drumming for Norrie Paramor

Postby JimN » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 am

That album was an odd one. It was released on the Studio 2 Stereo Columbia sub-label in 1968, but six of the tracks had actually been in the can since 1961. The others were clearly more recent at the time of release, mainly because they had only just been written or published.

The title tune, Soul Coaxing (or Ame Caline as per the original) was popular with light music orchestra leaders for several years.

But Brian Bennett on drums? Unlikely, I'd have thought. It just doesn't sound like him, though it's possible that he might have been instructed to play a written arrangement note for note. And was held back in the mix. On balance, though, no. Well, not unless it was!

front: https://ibb.co/h0vsn0

reverse: https://ibb.co/mGnBfL
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:02 am

From first hearing Soul Coaxing, I've had that nagging feeling that the composer took In The Mood and thought "Suppose I put it in a minor key . . . .?"
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:12 pm

RayL wrote:From first hearing Soul Coaxing, I've had that nagging feeling that the composer took In The Mood and thought "Suppose I put it in a minor key . . . .?"

... and then thought "No, let's do it major?"
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby StuartD » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:57 am

HI

I am not sure that this is Brian but what I will say is that he was working a lot with Norrie around the time of the Shadows break up. I know he went on a cruise with the Big Ben Banjo Band because he told me!! George Chisholm was on Trombone for that trip!! So it could be him. I suppose the only way to tell for sure is for someone to ask him!!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby UlrichS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi all,

JimN wrote:But Brian Bennett on drums? Unlikely, I'd have thought. It just doesn't sound like him, though it's possible that he might have been instructed to play a written arrangement note for note. And was held back in the mix. On balance, though, no. Well, not unless it was!

Jim, those were exactly my thoughts. But if he was on drums this might well have been for those six tracks from 1968.

StuartD wrote:I suppose the only way to tell for sure is for someone to ask him!!

Stuart, I think you are absolutely right.

Best wishes,

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Return to The Shadows