Hank returning for live show?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank returning for live show?

Postby Fenderman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Could be something or nothing but i was on Facebook earlier and the Official Hank Marvin page had posted a picture of Hank's guitar in front of Brian's kit with the caption 'what a team!'.
Could be nothing or could be a hint they're planning something, with it being Facebook best taken with a pinch of salt.
It's a nice thought though!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Re: Hank returning for live show?

Postby shadowriter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Be fantastic if he could do it. However, the guy's paid more than his respects to his fans, so let's leave him alone
to do what he loves, playing with his Gypsy jazz group in Australia. He's closing eighty now (like many of us)and doesn't need to get the fiery jack out and travel over here.
God bless him,he's given us so much material, CD and DVD wise, so many memories. I just hope he keeps taking it easy and makes the occasional CDs for us.
The man is a legend, an innovator and an inspiration. Just don't expect too much of him.
Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby bgohara » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:45 pm

You're maybe reading too much into a nice pic of 'pre-show' from the last Shadows tour.
They haven't posted anything in a while on his facebook page - every now and again they seem to post a photo - so I just took the post today at face value.

Though I think that I possibly saw something on the internet the other day that he might be doing a Gypsy Jazz gig in Perth to support a good cause early next year - may be true, maybe not - I'm sure they would announce something like this on his Gypsy Jazz facebook page.

Agree with Norman - if Hank wants to do something, great - but he is under no obligation or pressure these days - so all on his own terms. And if he doesn't feel like doing anything, then fine by me. I think they have interviewed him tonight for the Cliff documentary on ITV..Brian and Bruce interviewed too (all separately)
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby howarddobson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:00 pm

There’s also a picture of Hank and Bruce now and the caption ‘Yeah!’
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Postby George Geddes » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:50 pm

I agree with Norman and Bernie - Hank Bruce and Brian owe is nothing... If they want to do something, fine... if not, also fine...

How many of us want to be still working as we approach 80?

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby howarddobson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:13 am

I agree entirely - I’d like them to stay happy and healthy doing whatever they want.

As Hank is still recording, Brian is still writing and recording, and Bruce sounds keen, a 60th anniversary EP or something would be good. Or a collection with new some new tracks.

The issue is probably what can be done as The Shadows when they’ve already achieved so much and done final tours.
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Postby drakula63 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Worth remembering that Hank doesn't seem to be one for 'nostalgia' and all that and seems unlikely to be posting cryptic Shadows-related pics for no reason. My take on it is that there might be another recording of some kind in the works. Hank can stay in Australia and record his parts quite easily and Bruce lives about an hour's drive away from Brian. So it wouldn't be any hardship. But I don't think we'll ever see them on stage together again.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby winkrich » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Hank is heading up a gypsy jazz festival March 2nd-3rd in Waroona, Australia.

Not sure if this link will work.

https://www.facebook.com/events/292264464727033/?ti=cl

Cheers, Richard
winkrich

Full Real Name: Richard Wink

Postby drakula63 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:30 pm

winkrich wrote:Hank is heading up a gypsy jazz festival March 2nd-3rd in Waroona, Australia.

Not sure if this link will work.

https://www.facebook.com/events/292264464727033/?ti=cl

Cheers, Richard

At Drakesbrook Wines, no less. It's bound to be good! :D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby shadowriter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:05 am

Over Christmas I watched Hank with his Gypsy Jazz group on you tube. I think this is the way for Hank to go
if he did want to do something for us. Just post on you tube whatever and whenever he feels like it. It would do for me
that's for sure.
Also got Albert Lee's 70th DVD as a gift and thoroughly enjoyed his bit with Bruce and Brian. Apache, they nearly all do it
none like Hank though. What a tune, what memories it evokes.
Peace and good health to everyone in 2019.

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Next

Return to The Shadows