XXV + XXXV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: XXV + XXXV

Postby iefje » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 am

Regarding record sleeves, the most bland record sleeve ever issued must surely be the one for The Beatles' double album "The Beatles" (better known as 'The White Album').
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 pm

RayL wrote:One 'fix' for tracks with jumping grooves was a blob of blutack on the cartridge to make it heavier - easy to remove afterwards.

One alternative was to blu-tak a coin to the top of the cartridge housing. But either way, one was always well-advised to also make the best possible quality recording of the track on the first and any subsequent pass. That might be cassette (LN - Metal inclusive), DAT if you were well-healed, MiniDisc or direct to PC for later transfer to CD-R.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:
JimN wrote:A month or two after I got my copy of the "Rockin' With Curly Leads" LP in early 1974, the track Turn Around And Touch Me started to jump across one groove - very annoying.

I had the same problem with MWF's "Second Opinion". The heavy drumming on Black Eyes sent my stylus almost into orbit. I took it back and the shop replaced it with one that didn't cause that. However, it still sounded distorted at that point in the track and I suspected the pressing had been poorly done.

I still have my original vinyl copy. I think i'll dig it out and give the track a listen.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Previous

Return to The Shadows