At Their Very Best...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: At Their Very Best...

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 pm

I suspect that with 'At Their Very Best' the Shads simply wanted total control over their 'greatest hits'. No doubt if they had stayed with EMI, etc, then this album would not have happened. I wonder how many times since 1989 these re-recordings have been used instead of the original EMI ones? Would licencees go to the Shadows or to the record company if they wanted to use, say, 'Apache'? If they simply went to the Shads themselves, then post-1989 they would obviously have pointed them in the direction of their Polydor re-recording and NOT the original. They were certainly able to exploit these new recordings to great effect with the 2CD 'Life Story', in 2004, an album that got in the top 10, whereas a similar double CD album from EMI (released at the same time) didn't.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: At Their Very Best...

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:41 pm

That’s right Jim and you have explained it far better than I did. It was so they could decide to put numbers like Apache on subsequent albums, as happened with “Life Story” ...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to The Shadows