Shadows BBC CDs: Update

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows BBC CDs: Update

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:47 am

On behalf of the http://www.shadowmusic.co.uk website, I approached the BBC in October over the issue that two wrong tracks had been included on “The Shadows: Live at the BBC”. They immediately accepted that a mistake had been made, the correct tracks have been sourced thanks to members of this community, and they have been discussing a way forward with Warner Music UK, their partners in this enterprise.

I have now been approached by Warner, who are offering to provide corrected versions to substitute for the original CDs. They have to arrange a suitable production run and to devise a means of exchanging the wrong copies for the right ones. This will take some time, meanwhile they’ve asked me to give them an idea of the numbers involved.

If you have a copy or copies that you would like to have swapped, by all means post here but please also send me a private message registering your interest, so that I can follow up with you directly if the need arises.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Shadows BBC CDs: Update

Postby iefje » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:56 am

Iain, that's great news, thank you for that! I have sent you a personal message.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm not sure what to do.

I've obviously got the CD with the 'wrong' tracks on, but I'm not sure if I'm bothered or not. Seems to me that as I have already got the proper BBC versions elsewhere, and as the CD was so cheap, it might be better keeping it for its rarity value. If they were to correct the CD for all future pressings, then I would probably buy that as well, if it was as cheap as the first one.

I appreciate that not everyone will share my point of view and it is still somewhat irksome that they made such a big mistake in the first place. Still, looks like they are putting it right and I'll just have to see what happens and give it some thought.

My hope is still that a second volume will be forthcoming.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Iain,
Many thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
PM has been sent.
Best wishes,
Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby George Geddes » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Like Chris, I would be happy to buy a second, 'corrected' copy if it became available, but would also swap if that was the only option.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 pm

I've hit upon a solution.

It's still selling as cheap as chips on ebay, so I've bought another 'New Sealed' version and it will probably remain new and sealed, then I can exchange the other one! I have to wonder if the replacement will just be the CD or the sleeve/digipak as well. I gather there is some dispute about some recording dates stated on it.
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:49 am

I do love the fervour of completists!
I don't know in what form the replacements will be offered but I will post an update here as soon as I know more.
Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby drakula63 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:12 pm

It arrived today. Sealed. Less than six quid off ebay, so a bargain (even if it contains two wrong tracks!).
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Let's hope Warner don't misunderstand all this completism and wrongly assume that the two error tracks aren't a problem to people after all. They can see this site, as can the BBC...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:40 pm

Record companies are already well aware that misprinted labels, incorrect titles and composer credits, inadvertently-substituted recordings, tracks and other forms of mislabelling give rise to collectors' items and even, in due course, to increased value.

This though, usually happens when the corrected, official, version sells in large enough numbers to "drown" the original mistaken batch. With the best will in the world that isn't likely to happen with this album.
Last edited by JimN on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to The Shadows