15 years today

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: 15 years today

Postby Fenderman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 pm

I saw them at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow on that tour, the only time i ever got to see them live and i'm glad i did. Was seated away at the back, i think i must have got practically the last ticket.
I took many photos of the show which i still have. It was a great night.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby neil2726 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 pm

15 years since I bought my Burns Marvin - wow!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Gruntfuttock » Wed May 01, 2019 12:17 am

I also saw The Shads in Norwich. It was of course a great show. After the show I and a few others could meet Bruce. He told us that Hank had gone from the stage directly to his car so consequently I couldn’t meet Hank. When I was parking before the show the car next to mine had its door open. I realised later that the driver was Hanks guitar tech! If only I had known before I would have liked to ask a few guitar related questions! I saw an elderly Merc in the parking lot. It’s number plater read “Pop 1” I wonder which of the lads that belonged to!
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby Moderne » Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 am

I saw The Shadows at Birmingham Symphony Hall...and they were superb. Just like the best concert I'd ever seen when I used to go and see them in the '70s and '80s...only 100 times better! I also got a ticket (just the one - I was a confirmed bachelor then and had no Shadows-fan friends!!) for the 'final night' at Hammersmith Odeon. When it transpired that that wasn't going to be the final night I tried to get a ticket for the London Palladium gig but they'd all sold out. I drove down from Worcester anyway, queued up in vain for ages at the 'returns' desk, and ended up buying one from a tout for £240...which turned out to be stolen! I only found this out when I went to take my seat...so I stood at the back of the theatre, desperately hoping that no one would ask to see my ticket, which luckily they didn't. Tears started streaming down my face when they played Theme for Young Lovers...and then Cliff came on. I remember Bruce walking onto a section of stage in front of the main stage - and Hank warning him that it might not take his weight...cue laughter from the whole theatre.
When I'd parked my car I'd been blissfully unaware of the whole 'congestion charge' thing - so had to pay another £40 fine for that! But it was worth it to see The Shadows final concert...!

Just noticed this my 500th post; not bad for someone who a year ago said he wasn't going to post anymore...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Fenderman » Wed May 01, 2019 8:17 pm

I tried to meet Hank at the Stage Door at the same concert hall in 2000 but someone came out and said he had already left! Wonder if that was a ruse so everyone would leave? :D
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 am

Just realised, it was indeed exactly 15 years ago TODAY (27th May, 2004) that I saw the Shads in Nottingham and then met Brian and Bruce in the Mogal E Azam restaurant after the show!

Time flies!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 27, 2019 11:11 am

I remember it well having been at Scarborough, Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham, the latter two where we went for a ruby with them. I can’t believe it’s fifteen years ago. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon May 27, 2019 11:40 am

I saw them in Oxford! This was the nearest my brother could get to where he and I lived, Stroud and Bristol respectively. It was the first and last time I saw the Shads in concert, and I only got there because one of his friends had to drop out at the last minute.

Fifteen years eh? The way time accelerates as you get older is truly terrifying.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Previous

Return to The Shadows