NEW HANK RELEASE - 28th June

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW HANK RELEASE - 28th June

Postby leosden » Thu May 30, 2019 1:10 pm

Thought you'd like to know about a new Hank release coming up on LP and 3CD set simply called GOLD. Nothing new but includes tracks from Guitar Syndicate, Hank Marvin and Without a Word. 59 tracks on the CD, 15 tracks on the vinyl which is gold coloured. :P
Follow the link for track details: https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.ph ... er=product

Also noticed the thread about Burns Guitars, we have a Jigsaw Puzzle from Burns showing a collection of guitars from Barry Gibson. If you're a 'puzzler' might this be an interesting project? Probably some guitars you've never seen before unless you have the two 'Burns' books by Per Gjorde'.

See you at Lakeside on the 28th September.
Juliette
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Re: NEW HANK RELEASE - 28th June

Postby iefje » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Interesting to see tracks from both Hank's recorded output from EMI Records and Polydor Records being included. Of his 16 solo albums, only "Hank Plays Live" and "Django's Castle" are not represented.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Sounds just like the present for my wife on our 50th (28 June)!!
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:50 pm

So another re-hash - and of a lot of stuff I listened to maybe twice and shelved.
Hank’s best solo album for me was his first and by a long way. I still play it today
Although some heavily criticised it, the last one was good too and the Gypsy one I love. I play both of those regularly.
The others are a bit ‘contractual’ as we have gone through the discussions about material time after time, but that said they are all well played and produced. For me, Brian Bennett has shown how to do it, especially with his John Barry album. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby iefje » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:07 pm

My favourites of Hank's albums are "Hank Marvin", "The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate", "Words And Music", "Into The Light", "Heartbeat", "Hank Plays Cliff", "Hank Plays Holly", "Hank Plays Live", "Hank Marvin And The Shadows Play The Music Of Andrew Lloyd-Webber And Tim Rice", "Marvin At The Movies" and "Without A Word", as well as Hank's non-album tracks.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm

What I want (what I really, really want) is a good, remastered CD release of The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate. Just saying.

(Yes, I have it on LP. Maybe they could make something of the fact that 'New Earth' was sampled by Jay-Z.)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby MikeAB » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 pm

'Limited Slip' deserves to be on this!
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby bgohara » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm

I can hear what others are saying about this being ‘another rehash’ or ‘no unreleased tracks’ but I think it is an interesting mix of tracks - covering all areas of Hank’s solo career (including EMI and Polydor tracks and also some rarities - guitar syndicate anyone?). I like to think of this as something that has been ‘curated’ (indeed it has apparently been compiled by Hank himself) and at £5.99 you can hardly go wrong (nice cover pic as well - haven’t seen that one before)
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 am

How about a compilation of all of Hank's original recordings? I have included naturally all tracks written by Hank himself, but also those written by related composers, like Brian Bennett, Bruce Welch, Terry Britten, Martin Jenner, Mark Griffiths and Ben Marvin. I don't know if the six tracks from the "All Alone With Friends" album, which were not written by Hank can also be regarded as originals by Hank.

Hank Marvin "Marvin Trax".
1. London’s Not Too Far.
2. Goodnight Dick.
3. Wahine.
4. Sacha.
5. Sunday For Seven Days.
6. Tokyo Guitar.
7. Chameleon.
8. Love And Occasional Rain.
9. High Sierra.
10. Boogitoo.
11. Break Another Dawn.
12. Would You Believe It.
13. Morning Star.
14. Evening Comes.
15. New Earth (Parts 1 & 2).
16. Have You Never Been Mellow.
17. Silvery Rain.
18. Syndicated.
19. Don’t Talk.
20. Slow Down.
21. Bad Cop.
22. Tahlia Take Your Time.
23. China Town.
24. Captain Zlogg.
25. The Trouble With Me Is You.
26. Oh Suzie.
27. Night Nurse.
28. Go Jimmy.
29. Then I Found Love.
30. Life Line.
31. Janine.
32. Invisible Man.
33. Leila (Danny’s Got A Song).
34. 99 Days.
35. All Alone With Friends.
36. Road Train.
37. Sumiko.
38. Into The Light.
39. Scirocco.
40. Moontalk.
41. Tailspin.
42. Steel Wheel.
43. Nivram.
44. Cable Beach.
45. Wonderful Land.
46. Hot Rox.
47. Limited Slip.
48. The Day I Met Marie.
49. I Could Easily Fall (In Love With You).
50. Summer Holiday.
51. In The Country.
52. Red Back.
53. Maya’s Day.
54. A Tall-A Tall Dark Stranger.
55. Benny’s Toon.
56. Song For David.
57. Summer House.
58. Summer Guitar.
59. Russian Doll.
iefje

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:02 am

drakula63 wrote:What I want (what I really, really want) is a good, remastered CD release of The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate. Just saying.

(Yes, I have it on LP. Maybe they could make something of the fact that 'New Earth' was sampled by Jay-Z.)

I agree. I have the original 1977 LP and the only CD issue from 1990. To my knowledge, the albums "Hank Marvin" and "The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate" and the non-album singles tracks from 1968 to 1970 would have been released as a double CD by EMI Records in 1998, but in the end, only the first album and the ten non-album tracks were issued.
iefje

Next

Return to The Shadows