What sort of guitar do you think Bruce used on Cavatina?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

What sort of guitar do you think Bruce used on Cavatina?

Postby bgohara » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:30 am

Here’s an interesting one. I heard the Shads’ 1979 version of Cavatina on Pick of the Pops recently. It was their last top ten hit. It’s a different animal from the John William’s version and I know it’s one of Hank’s favourites. He plays it beautifully. But I’ve also always loved the rhythm guitar on it - the arpeggios are fantastic - as is the sound. I’ve heard it many times but only thought today that Bruce could be using a nylon strung acoustic. Any thoughts?
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Re: What sort of guitar do you think Bruce used on Cavatina?

Postby JimN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm

bgohara wrote:Here’s an interesting one. I heard the Shads’ 1979 version of Cavatina on Pick of the Pops recently. It was their last top ten hit. It’s a different animal from the John William’s version and I know it’s one of Hank’s favourites. He plays it beautifully. But I’ve also always loved the rhythm guitar on it - the arpeggios are fantastic - as is the sound. I’ve heard it many times but only thought today that Bruce could be using a nylon strung acoustic. Any thoughts?

Was Bruce on it? He isn't always on late EMI Shadows tracks.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:49 pm

I don’t know but I thought Bruce wasn’t on it.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Moderne » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 pm

I thought that Bruce wasn't on Argentina (I believe that was Clive Hicks...?) but assumed he was on everything else. What other songs from the EMI period did Bruce not play on?
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Unsospero » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 pm

The Shadows recording catalogue (Victor Rust) shows Bruce as playing rhythm guitar on both recordings with Brian Hicks playing 'guitar 'on Argentina.
Abbey Road (6th 10th 12th & 3th October 1978). Applause and guitar overdubs 23rd October.

Cavatina 17th March 79, text says "A perfect introduction by Bruce Welch on the acoustic guitar (replete with the squeaks on the strings as he changes chord, which was a feature of John Williams version)....
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby bgohara » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

I suspected that someone would suggest that Bruce wasn’t on it. Obviously I wasn’t there - so can’t be sure - but my understanding was that he wasn’t on Argentina and that would have been recorded some time earlier - so no reason to believe it wasn’t Bruce.

Yes - I agree - the intro is pretty much perfect.

The key part of the question though was whether it is a nylon strung classical guitar - any thoughts?
bgohara

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:52 am

Unsospero wrote:The Shadows recording catalogue (Victor Rust) shows Bruce as playing rhythm guitar on both recordings with Brian Hicks playing 'guitar 'on Argentina.
Abbey Road (6th 10th 12th & 3th October 1978). Applause and guitar overdubs 23rd October.

Cavatina 17th March 79, text says "A perfect introduction by Bruce Welch on the acoustic guitar (replete with the squeaks on the strings as he changes chord, which was a feature of John Williams version)....

That's Clive Hicks on the opening bars of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". The rest of the track is Bruce on rhythm guitar. As far as I know, Bruce plays rhythm guitar on "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bgohara » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 am

iefje wrote:
Unsospero wrote:The Shadows recording catalogue (Victor Rust) shows Bruce as playing rhythm guitar on both recordings with Brian Hicks playing 'guitar 'on Argentina.

That's Clive Hicks on the opening bars of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". The rest of the track is Bruce on rhythm guitar. As far as I know, Bruce plays rhythm guitar on "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)".

Ivo - Re Argentina - I didn't think that Bruce was on the released recording at all. Of course he would have been on the 1989 re-recording. Strangely for me, the 1989 re-recording of Cavatina doesn't have the same impact as the original - though I guess you could say that for most of the re-recordings on that record.
bgohara

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am

I have just spoken to Dick Plant who engineered the session on which Cavatina was recorded.
It was Bruce and he used his little Martin - Dick’s words - and it was steel strung. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:43 am

bgohara wrote:
iefje wrote:

Ivo - Re Argentina - I didn't think that Bruce was on the released recording at all. Of course he would have been on the 1989 re-recording. Strangely for me, the 1989 re-recording of Cavatina doesn't have the same impact as the original - though I guess you could say that for most of the re-recordings on that record.

What I posted earlier, is information I got from Malcolm Campbell's book "A Pocket Guide To Shadow Music". What is for sure though I think, is that Bruce plays electric rhythm guitar on the full studio version (4:45), which was released on the CD "The Shadows At Abbey Road" in 1997.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows