Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Cliff and the Shadows live medley - 1965

Postby drakula63 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:35 am

drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Cliff and the Shadows live medley - 1965

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:09 pm

The "Lucky Lips" bit has been officially released on the 1994 VHS video "The Hit List".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm

I saw this edition of "Sunday Night At The London Palladium" (by now renamed "The New London Palladium Show") and recorded the audio as I watched it (and still have the tape).

The date given on YouTube - 13th June 1965 - is definitely incorrect. The medley was preceded by The Shadows promoting their latest record The War Lord, which wasn't released until late 1965 - November or so. The video for that Shadows performance is available and it tells you straightaway that it was from the same appearance as the Cliff Richard medley (just look at that stage set!), thereby proving the late 1965 date.

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby strongbow » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm

The date was November 21, 1965.

Cliff and the Shadows opened the show with a harmonized vocal treatment of Memories Are Made of This -- Cliff on one microphone and the Shadows gathered around another -- and Cliff followed with an fast version of Fly Me to the Moon (the same treatment as on the Kinda Latin album released the following year).

When they return to later close the show, the Shadows do the Warlord and then accompany Cliff on I Could Easily Fall, Wind Me Up (his current single) and the medley.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Return to The Shadows