"RHYTHM & GREENS" & HANK INTERVIEW

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

"RHYTHM & GREENS" & HANK INTERVIEW

Postby leosden » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Following on from Ulrich's earlier message, not only is "Rhythm & Greens" finally on DVD it is also on Blu ray - remarkable. Weren't sure that initially it was going to make this release but I think that after a lot of planning it made it. Our stock due any day now.
Now we must try and work on getting the two Cliff and The Shadows full concerts never even on video, to be released at least on DVD - Together 1984 and Thank You Very Much.

And for those who don't get our News/Release Bulletins there is an exclusive interview with Hank on guitar.com as to why he’s decided to get rid of his beloved 1957 Fender Strat.
Pat
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Re: "RHYTHM & GREENS" & HANK INTERVIEW

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Would be nice for a complete and unedited version of 'Thank You Very Much' to make it onto DVD or Blu-ray and maybe even CD and double LP. I'm sure that all the footage not used exists on some dusty shelf at EMI somewhere! Or Parlophone. It always looked to me like it was shot on film (probably 16mm) and even though this must have degraded considerably over the last 40 years, it could be restored and, in theory, given a release. The existing version is OK, but it would be better to have the full concert (which I have on a bootleg audio) with the interview segments taken out and presented separately. If it was shot on video tape, with ENG cameras, then the same would be true - I've still got video tape that's a good 35+ years old and it's still perfectly watchable.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Andy Stace » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 pm

It would also be nice to see the Shadows set from 'The Event' at Wembley in 1989!
Andy Stace

Full Real Name: Andrew Stace

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Andy Stace wrote:It would also be nice to see the Shadows set from 'The Event' at Wembley in 1989!

True. And the set by Cliff and the Shads. I was there on one of the days... can't remember which one! It may have been the first one - it was the day that was featured late night on the ITN news.
drakula63

Postby JimN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 pm

drakula63 wrote:Would be nice for a complete and unedited version of 'Thank You Very Much' to make it onto DVD or Blu-ray and maybe even CD and double LP. I'm sure that all the footage not used exists on some dusty shelf at EMI somewhere! Or Parlophone. It always looked to me like it was shot on film (probably 16mm) and even though this must have degraded considerably over the last 40 years, it could be restored and, in theory, given a release. The existing version is OK, but it would be better to have the full concert (which I have on a bootleg audio) with the interview segments taken out and presented separately. If it was shot on video tape, with ENG cameras, then the same would be true - I've still got video tape that's a good 35+ years old and it's still perfectly watchable.

It wasn't EMI who produced the film. Offhand, I can't remember the name of the company, but wasn't Alan Parker involved?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bgohara » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:56 am

leosden wrote:Now we must try and work on getting the two Cliff and The Shadows full concerts never even on video, to be released at least on DVD - Together 1984 and Thank You Very Much.

Pat

Totally

I'm sure it would be a big job to recut the Palladium footage (if it can be found) - and I wonder if it would be worth it, from a commercial point of view. I find the interruptions from talking heads (great though they were) very annoying (and obviously the whole concert has never been released). There was a CD reissue a few years ago with bonus tracks (like let me be the one) dubbed from video! But if it could be recut and reissued, it would look great as shot on film.

Re Together 1984 - this is the show that got me into Cliff / The Shads in the first place. There was a 60 min (or so) cut for TV (I can remember watching it vividly and have it on video someone), then the slightly longer video release - which had a few extra songs (though still not the whole show). This has never even been released on DVD. I believe it was shot on video, rather than film - but I'm sure it could be released on DVD / Bluray (perhaps upscaled as I guess full 1080 wouldn't be possible) without too much effort and would be a sought after release (interestingly, I've seen clips on tv in recent times, such as when Bruce and Hank appeared on Adam Boulton's Sky show to promote the reunion tour with Cliff around 10 years ago).

Re the Event - the only audio release featuring the Shads has been the audio of In the Country and The Young Ones from the event CD / LP / MC. I think these tracks were on the TV special that was done as well. So there is an entire Shads set (and also entire Cliff & Shads set) on audio and video waiting to be released (though again, the economics for the video release in particular, might be difficult). It's a real shame this has never been released.

The last one that springs to mind is their joint set from Knebworth in 1990. This footage is no doubt owned by the charity, Nordoff-Robbins. The audio was broadcast on the day live on Radio 1. Re the video - a number of tracks were released on one of the three volumes of video released around the time, and there were one or two featured on the tv highlights that were not on the video. Subsequent DVD releases trimmed the content across the initial 3 volumes of video released. So again it would be great if the whole set could be released on DVD - again this is probably difficult as it would need edited and mastered, and the charity no doubt owns the footage.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:20 am

Where's the interview?
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby drakula63 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:28 am

JimN wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Would be nice for a complete and unedited version of 'Thank You Very Much' to make it onto DVD or Blu-ray and maybe even CD and double LP. I'm sure that all the footage not used exists on some dusty shelf at EMI somewhere! Or Parlophone. It always looked to me like it was shot on film (probably 16mm) and even though this must have degraded considerably over the last 40 years, it could be restored and, in theory, given a release. The existing version is OK, but it would be better to have the full concert (which I have on a bootleg audio) with the interview segments taken out and presented separately. If it was shot on video tape, with ENG cameras, then the same would be true - I've still got video tape that's a good 35+ years old and it's still perfectly watchable.

It wasn't EMI who produced the film. Offhand, I can't remember the name of the company, but wasn't Alan Parker involved?

Yeah, I think it says the 'Alan Parker Film Co' at the end. Mind you, the entire show was recorded, presumably by EMI, and I wonder if they also acquired the rights to the film, wasn't it released on video by EMI? Anyway, it MUST be lying around somewhere in its entirety and it would be nice to see and hear it all.

And here's the 1979 TV ad for it! Never seen it before now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIaG7iTTdtw
drakula63

Postby cockroach » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Tigerdaisy wrote:Where's the interview?

https://guitar.com/features/why-hank-ma ... tocasters/
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 am

cockroach wrote: