Recent interview with Hank

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Recent interview with Hank

Postby Moderne » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:03 am

Nothing 'new' or of great interest to the hardcore fans probably, but nice to hear from Hank two years after Without a Word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o_nXjom8FA
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Re: Recent interview with Hank

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:48 am

Thank you for the link. I think I can be classified as a fairly hard-core fan, but I didn't know Hank liked Glenn Miller. I have some Glenn Miller records, too. I also share Hank's taste in Dixieland jazz, which I have heard on two holidays in Bourbon Street bars, New Orleans.

The interviewer must be a young man, judging from his broad questions, like the one about instrumental music in the sixties, for example. My comment is not meant to criticise him, of course.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby Moderne » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Actually I didn't know he liked Glenn Miller either, although he mentioned once that Earl Bostic's Flamingo was one of his favourite records. Wow...Dixieland jazz live in Bourbon Street. That must've been an experience!
Moderne

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Moderne wrote: Wow...Dixieland jazz live in Bourbon Street. That must've been an experience!

It was! I arrived in New Orleans in early July 1979 for the first time and spent a few evenings listening to live bands playing Dixieland jazz in the bars on Bourbon Street. One night I had heard a female singer do a blues version of Kansas City. After that I went to one of my regular Dixieland bars, where the band knew I was a tourist and asked me if I had a request. Out of interest, I asked them to play Kansas City. I just wanted to hear a Dixieland version of it to compare that in my mind with the blues version I had heard.

My request raised some eyebrows. Obviously the band had never played Kansas City. After all, it's rock 'n' roll, not Dixieland. Playing the song appeared to be no problem, though, but they wanted to sing it as well since it had a lyric. Finally after some talking the drummer said he knew at least a couple of verses and they set the mike for the drummer to sing. The saxophonist asked him: "Which key do you wanna sing it in?" The drummer replied: "D."

Then they began, and with all the improvisations I think the song lasted for seven or eight minutes. My ear couldn't detect the slightest mistake in it. Very swinging music. When they finished, I thanked them and I said: "I got the impression that you hadn't rehearsed this particular song even though you played a perfect version of it." With a big smile on his face, the saxophonist said: "Mediocre musicians rehearse!" :lol:
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby andykombi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:17 pm

No wonder hank liked glen millerbet he was in the mood
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby andykombi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 pm

No wonder hank liked glen miller bet he was in the mood
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby abstamaria » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:16 am

That was very interesting life. Thank you.

Did Hank say “Roman Red”?

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Moderne » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:20 am

abstamaria wrote:Did Hank say “Roman Red”?

Yes! I've no idea about guitar colours but the info here...

https://reverb.com/news/the-mystery-of- ... ars-solved

may be of interest. Apologies if it's been posted before.

Incidentally, Hank might have chosen Chattanooga Choo Choo (opening track on side one of Dance With...) out of his admiration for Glenn Miller.
Moderne

Postby abstamaria » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:59 am

I had not read that. Quite interesting!

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to The Shadows