Met with Duane Eddy, George Tomsco and Victor Wooten

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Met with Duane Eddy, George Tomsco and Victor Wooten

Postby abel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:51 am

Hi All,

Hope you are all in good health and spirit. I wish a speedy recovery to Mr. Harris and my good friend Dick Dale.
Both of them are going through difficult times. May God bless and heal them both.
It was a rather fruitful Weekend for me as I had the privilege to attend the Deke Dickerson show with and meet
with legends: Duane Eddy, George Tomsco and Victor Wooten. If you don't know Victor Wooten, he is the most
sought after bass player of these days. Having drawn from Pastorius and Marcus Miller, he took a road of his own and
came up with a flabbergasting style to say the list.
I met him and saw him perform at the NAMM show and it was mesmerizing.
All 3 artists I met were the finest kind both on the music and human sides.
I am attaching some pictures.
On another note, we ended the weekend with a rehearsal of Shadows music in Simi Valley.
Myself and 3 Surf musicians form what they called now the "Mystery Men" or "Men of Mystery" (MoM).
It sounded surprisingly good for some reason.
What' s most surprising is that before we even exist, we got booked for 3 gigs already, Huntington Beach Pier Plaza - a stage
on the beach, The BeachComber and the US SurfGuitar101 convention (they probably don't realize the risk they are taking).
Also, after seeing Duane Eddy perform, I got inspired (it happens to me somtimes) and wrote a tune (no name yet) in the Duane / Surf style. I' ll try and record it on my day off tomorrow God willing.

Duane Eddy1.JPG
(241.17 KiB) Downloaded 4784 times

Duane2.JPG
(92.48 KiB) Downloaded 4784 times

Goeorge Tomsco and the Fireballs.JPG
(250.19 KiB) Downloaded 4784 times

Duane - Abel2.JPG
(97.62 KiB) Downloaded 4784 times

George Tomsco - Abel1.JPG
(91.93 KiB) Downloaded 4784 times

Victor_Wooten_NAMM2010.jpeg
(33.34 KiB) Downloaded 4782 times

Blessings to all,
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Re: Met with Duane Eddy, George Tomsco and Victor Wooten

Postby alewis41 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 am

Very cool, Abel! I thought about going to this event but I couldn't make it. I've met Deke before, he's a very nice guy, but meeting Duane Eddy etc. must have been a great thrill. Duane's looking pretty good for his age.

Good luck with the new band.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Twang46 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Abel

I'm very envious at not being able to get there :) but thanks for posting the cool pics of Duane (especially the close up of his "new" guitar)

Cheers

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby geronimo7476 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:54 am

Hi Abel, Good to hear from you again and WOW!!!!!! this is like meeting Hank and the Shads, Really awesome!!! I saw Duade way back in the 60s in the Luxurama theatre in CapeTown!! What an experience that was, But I surely pales to the experience you had!!
Thanks for Sharing, Some brilliant pics,
Cheers CC
geronimo7476

Postby tony parnham » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Abel,
Nice pictures, I remember seeing Duane in my home town Worksop which is just about 'Robin Hood' country here, probably around 1960-61, he was touring with Bobby Darin. It was a good show but when Duane came on with that massive speaker cabinet and his own defining sound poor old Bobby's spot was forgotten.
It seemed every other player during that era liked to stick a lighted cigarette under the strings headstock trying to look cool and playing the 'Peter Gun' riff and that was without the Sax player even.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby geronimo7476 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi Tony, I can relate to the massive sound he had, At the Luxurama CT he used that tan Fender Showman amp and cab, he played so loud that he was asked more than once by the management to please turn down!! We didn't care we loved it.
Cheers CC
geronimo7476

Postby tony parnham » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi Charles,
Yes, it was an awesome sound and one of those isolated moments where I got a mental photograph that I remember quite distinctly just like the first tour of Cliff and Shadows at the same cinema and around the same year. Its true it did'nt seem to matter how loud it was, those guitar sounds were just heaven.
Regards Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Return to The Shadows