Paris Poster

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Paris Poster

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:10 am

I've just spent a little too much money on a single sheet of paper. Saw it on ebay and couldn't resist. It's not in the best of condition, but in a way this helps to authenticate it. I had never, ever seen one before last week, so that may help to explain why I bought it. For the time being it will remain rolled up in the wardrobe... but eventually it will be framed and hung on the wall. I have placed the original LP next to it for a size / design comparison!
Attachments
IMG_9270_opt.jpg
(82.27 KiB) Downloaded 5304 times
IMG_9269_opt.jpg
(75.75 KiB) Downloaded 5304 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Paris Poster

Postby manofmystery » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:29 am

They were in all the record stores in Hull. In fact The Shadows did pretty well in advertising their albums up here. The stores were always full of large posters and displays.
manofmystery

Full Real Name: Paul Wray

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 am

manofmystery wrote:They were in all the record stores in Hull. In fact The Shadows did pretty well in advertising their albums up here. The stores were always full of large posters and displays.

Believe it or not... I bought many of my Shadows albums during the 1970s in Hull - including Specs Appeal, Somethin' Else!!, the 'Ember' LP and, I think, the Shadows first album - mostly from Sidney Scarborough's, although I think there was also a record department in C&A. Regular trips across the Humber on the ferry! Mind you, my mum bought me the Live at the Paris Olympia album from Boots record department in Grimsby. Seems like yesterday... can't believe it's almost 45 years. And we (the whole family) saw the Shads at the Hull City Hall in 1981.
drakula63

Postby manofmystery » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 pm

Ahh Sydney Scarborough. All you could want on 3 floors.

C and A never had a record department but Hammonds did. Boots was handy. You could buy a Shadows album and something for the weekend!!
manofmystery

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 pm

manofmystery wrote:Ahh Sydney Scarborough. All you could want on 3 floors.

C and A never had a record department but Hammonds did. Boots was handy. You could buy a Shadows album and something for the weekend!!

Yeah, it was such a long time ago. I remember going into a huge building with a record department upstairs... or that's how I remember it anyway. It may have been Hammonds. I remember using the inner sleeve of 20 Golden Greats as my guide and those must have been the first Shads albums I bought - although it took a few years to get them all. I remember dispatching mum into town one Saturday morning (circa 1978) with instructions to buy 'Live at the Paris Olympia'. When she got back, having bought it from Boots, she said that the man behind the counter had told her that in his opinion it was 'the best album the Shadows had ever made'. Now assuming that this was after she had purchased it, I see no reason to doubt his sincerity! I've certainly played it hundreds of times over the last 40+ years and it's certainly in my Top Five... which is why I was so anxious to buy the ad poster as soon as I saw it! All I want now is a really decent 'Full Concert Version' (taken from the original tapes) and I'll be happy! My 1992 EMI CD version was stolen in a burglary and the French Magic CD version is not quite as good as it could have been. Maybe one day...
drakula63

Postby manofmystery » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:18 pm

The record department was on the 3rd floor in Hammonds on the back wall. I bought "Dance With The Shadows" there. It had a scratch on the vinyl so I took it back, They ordered a new one and when I went to collect they had stapled a large piece of paper to the sleeve with my name on!!!!!!!!!
I refused to accept it and they ordered another one this time minus the staples.
My main place for buying was Sydney Scarborough who's slogan was "If it's recorded we can supply it". I asked for a copy of the Saturday Dance Single. They said it was deleted so I pointed out their slogan. It was soon removed from there sleeves.
Syd Scarborough always carried a large stock of Shadows albums both UK and foreign pressings and if you asked for a foreign album they could always supply it. Great shop, now sadly a distant memory.
manofmystery

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:07 pm

drakula63 wrote:I've just spent a little too much money on a single sheet of paper. Saw it on ebay and couldn't resist. It's not in the best of condition, but in a way this helps to authenticate it. I had never, ever seen one before last week, so that may help to explain why I bought it. For the time being it will remain rolled up in the wardrobe... but eventually it will be framed and hung on the wall. I have placed the original LP next to it for a size / design comparison!

That's a nice little trinket Chris!
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:15 pm

manofmystery wrote: ... You could buy a Shadows album and something for the weekend!!

If a girl had caught you buying a Shadows album in the 70s, you wouldn't have needed anything for the weekend.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:
manofmystery wrote: ... You could buy a Shadows album and something for the weekend!!

If a girl had caught you buying a Shadows album in the 70s, you wouldn't have needed anything for the weekend.

Whilst I genuinely HATE to say it... that's exactly what I thought! Mind you, in 1977 I was far too young for such things and it wouldn't have occurred to me then!
drakula63

Postby manofmystery » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:

True.

The 70's where the rudest thing you could say was "I like The Shadows".
manofmystery

Return to The Shadows