New Do You Wanna Dance (question)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New Do You Wanna Dance (question)

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Excuse my ignorance and the stupidity of this question...

On the new version of Do You Wanna Dance (live and studio), Hank has added some new guitar bits. I am just trying to figure out what style these could be said to be in. I keep wanting to say flamenco pr Hawaiian or latin or raggae and I know these are all wrong. To my ears, the new arrangement has, in places, a kind of exotic flavour, but I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Maybe it's just my natural musical ignorance that's to blame!!! Anyway, I love the new version, think it's grrreeeat, but I just wish I could find the right words... You know how it is, I'm sure...

Any suggestions would be welcome!

:problem: :think:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: New Do You Wanna Dance (question)

Postby drakula63 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Sorry, obviously the question was too stupid...

A shame, as I thought that some of the musos here could have helped. Oh well...

:(
drakula63

Postby cockroach » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 am

Are you referring to the double-stop phrases Hank puts in during the chorus, or the repeated lick he plays- especially in the coda?

The double stop bits sound a bit 'Tex-Mex'/Buddy Holly style to me, whereas the other lick is a fairly standard rock'n'roll bit in the style of Chuck Berry and many others, but with a sound a bit like James Burton's- sounds to me a bit like the James Burton solo in Rick Nelson's 'Believe what you say'.

As Buddy and James were early influences of Hank's, he seemed to put in bits of their styles into his own.

Buddy's guitar style had a lot of Mexican/Spanish guitar style flourishes and licks- he was from Texas, and a fair few rockers from that area had that influence which was from just across the border back then.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RuneMoe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 am

...and of course a little Chuck Berry at the end of the tune :D
RuneMoe

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

No. I was really referring to the guitar phrases in the first verse - the first one can be heard at between 17 and 18 seconds into the track. There is also something else going on in the background which could be on guitar, or maybe even keyboards!

Sorry, I tend to hear things that others don't and half the time I think I must be imagining things!
That's what my analyst says, anyway...

:crazy:
drakula63

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:08 pm

I think it's style called 'I've forgot what I should be playing 'cos I couldn't be bothered to re-learn it, so I'll play owt that fits - it's a common favourite with aging guitarists . . . . . . . :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm

tee hee
ecca

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm

dave robinson wrote:I think it's style called 'I've forgot what I should be playing 'cos I couldn't be bothered to re-learn it, so I'll play owt that fits - it's a common favourite with aging guitarists . . . . . . . :lol:

Yup!
Martin Page

Postby waffles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Last edited by waffles on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waffles

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 pm

I've often thought it would be nice to have at least three hands. For a variety of reasons. Still, you do OK with two and I hope the remainder of the tour goes well. Sadly, I shall not be travelling abroad this time, but I have high hopes for the 100th anniversary tour!

All the best,

Chris.

:thumbup:
drakula63

Next

Return to The Shadows