Is Hank doing a tour again

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Is Hank doing a tour again

Postby Syd62 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Not too sure how true it is, but a lady at my work told me today that her brother heard on the radio that Hank is doing some shows but not sure where. Anyone heard anything?
Syd62

Full Real Name: Syd Langston

Re: Is Hank doing a tour again

Postby Moderne » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:25 am

According to the very end of this interview...

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/ ... rvin-gold/

...he is mixing a gypsy jazz album. As for travelling to the other side of the world and doing shows...he is 78-years old now. Still, Cliff is planning his 'Great Eighty' tour so...who knows!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Fenderman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Highly unlikely, he may never even pick up his trusty Strat again and make more albums, he's 78 now and enjoying semi retirement.
I do know Bruce and Brian would be up for a perhaps one off at the Paladium or something but Hank isn't keen, not sure they could do the famous FBI kick anymore!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:25 am

The art lies in knowing when to stop. Leave them wanting more, and all that.

A small group of us went to see the last London performance by the legendary Scotty Moore. Sure, he got through all the famous licks but his backing band outshone him and we all wished he simply hadn’t done the gig.

Hank has made it pretty clear he’s had enough Shads. Bruce may not have but he’s a perfectionist and wouldn’t want to be associated with anything that might go wrong. Brian was present at last years’s KPM All Stars gig - as was Clem Cattini - but neither man played, a first for BB and a disappointment for those of us who’d gone to see him. The drum chair was taken by an excellent session man called Ralph Salmins. Couldn’t fault him.

I think our heroes have done us proud and it is now done.

As John Lennon once said, “play the records!”
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 am

I've now long since given up the notion that I'll see the Shadows live on stage again. I don't believe it will ever happen. But, do you know what... I don't care!

For me, all my dreams came true when they did their Final Tour in 2004 and then their Final Reunion Tour with Cliff in 2009. In 2004, I was lucky enough to get front row seats in Nottingham and then equally good seats at the London Palladium a few weeks later. To see them so close up and then on stage at the Palladium with Cliff (albeit only for three songs!) was a dream come true. Then, in 2009, excellent seats at both the Nottingham and Sheffield arena shows - the latter being on Cliff's birthday! And it was an awesome experience seeing them playing in such massive venues. I can honestly say that, on both these tours, the Shads were playing as well as, if not better than, they ever had. But now, ten/fifteen years later on... would this still be the case? The Rolling Stones can get away with it because, let's be really honest, they are pretty sloppy live and it's this 'looseness' that is part of their unique charm. The Shadows were always tight and played everything to perfection and a below-par Shads would be noticeable straight away. They finished on top. And for those of us who were there - and for those who weren't - we have the live CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. That surely is enough? They all said that those would be their 'final' tours, so apart from Hank's small-scale gypsy jazz outings, we must accept that this is the case.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby MikeAB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:38 am

It's unfair to expect a tour for all the stated reasons - but more Strat based records would be great whilst Hank still can .

However, it might be nice if an informal farewell was done for 'deep' fans only - maybe at the Dankworth's Wavendon Stables fantastic and small venue for 2-4 nights. Such fans would not expect a full professional evening just playing on stools and a bit of chat to say thanks (both ways) etc.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby iefje » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:45 pm

drakula63 wrote:I've now long since given up the notion that I'll see the Shadows live on stage again. I don't believe it will ever happen. But, do you know what... I don't care!

For me, all my dreams came true when they did their Final Tour in 2004 and then their Final Reunion Tour with Cliff in 2009. In 2004, I was lucky enough to get front row seats in Nottingham and then equally good seats at the London Palladium a few weeks later. To see them so close up and then on stage at the Palladium with Cliff (albeit only for three songs!) was a dream come true. Then, in 2009, excellent seats at both the Nottingham and Sheffield arena shows - the latter being on Cliff's birthday! And it was an awesome experience seeing them playing in such massive venues. I can honestly say that, on both these tours, the Shads were playing as well as, if not better than, they ever had. But now, ten/fifteen years later on... would this still be the case? The Rolling Stones can get away with it because, let's be really honest, they are pretty sloppy live and it's this 'looseness' that is part of their unique charm. The Shadows were always tight and played everything to perfection and a below-par Shads would be noticeable straight away. They finished on top. And for those of us who were there - and for those who weren't - we have the live CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. That surely is enough? They all said that those would be their 'final' tours, so apart from Hank's small-scale gypsy jazz outings, we must accept that this is the case.

I agree with you Chris.

The first time I ever saw Hank live, was during his Spring tour in 2000 in The Hague, when we all thought The Shadows had broken up for good in 1990. Then a dream came true when I saw The Shadows live for the very first time in 2004 in Norwich, in 2005 in Amsterdam and with Cliff in 2009 in Rotterdam. I am very very happy and thankful to have been able to be present at all those concerts.

I think the only good reason for The Shadows to tour again, would be if they have an album out with new material, otherwise it would be just nostalgia again and I don't see the point, because they have brought that to a close with the aforementioned final tours. However, if they do decide to perform again, regardless of the material, I would still enjoy it! :)
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby shadowriter » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

As John Lennon once said, “play the records!”

Too true Iain
We've said before. Hank has given us so much, and owes us nothing. He deserves to enjoy
his retirement and play what he really wants to play. If that includes the odd CD like 'Without a Word'
then that's a bonus.
2004 was a memory that will live forever with all of us.

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Return to The Shadows