Shadows recordings from the BBC

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows recordings from the BBC

Postby UlrichS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:09 pm

iefje wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:
Keith Bateman wrote:... and NAUGHTY NIPPON NIGHTS (David Symonds)...

The DJ on these studio sessions is actually Brian Matthew not DS

Yes, that's what's confusing...

This track was recorded for the Dave Symonds Show and broadcasted on 20. February 1968.
The audio track on this CD is taken from the BBC Transcription Disc #173 (sent abroad in December 1968), which contains the radio program "Top of the Pops" which was presented by Brian Matthew and who is sometimes talking into the tune.
I hope this clears up the confusion.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby dave robinson » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:06 pm

The one that Keith has shown is the same as mine. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Dave can you confirm that the version of Naughty Nippon Nights on the CD you and Keith have is the same as the version on the recent Warner release of BBC tracks? (ie with the Brian Matthew voiceover)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby UlrichS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Iain,
It is the same recording.
Ulrich
UlrichS

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:07 am

Iain Purdon wrote:Dave can you confirm that the version of Naughty Nippon Nights on the CD you and Keith have is the same as the version on the recent Warner release of BBC tracks? (ie with the Brian Matthew voiceover)

Yes indeed it is the same piece with Brian Matthew's introdction.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Keith Bateman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am

UlrichS wrote:The date 24. March 1974 is the correct one for the Sounds On Sunday broadcast in question.

So does that mean that the date on the Warner cd of 10-12-1973 is the recording date for the Sounds On Sunday sessions I wonder?
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby martcaster » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Reading this thread with great interest. Chris J had a reel to reel recording of a (Saturday Club?) broadcast featuring N/N/Nights, Lara's Theme, Snap Crackle &H/Y/Dad . Happy to be corrected, of course, but I have it in mind that the 'host' was Keith Skues. The r-t-r tape still exists AFAIK amongst many gems in Chris's collection. We can only hope it will see the light of day in due course.
Mart.
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi Martin, Keith, Ulrich and Dave. I am beginning to see what probably happened here.

Yes, at the time those Shads numbers were current, Keith Skues was the host of Saturday Club on BBC Radio 1. He took over that show from Brian Matthew on Sep 30 1967. Brian meanwhile was fronting a radio programme for BBC World Service called Top of the Pops (not the TV programme of the same name) and I think the BBC CD is actually using excerpts from that programme, including the rather frenetic voiceovers by BM.

I guess that the Shads went into the BBC Maida Vale studios and recorded those numbers clean of DJ. (Wish we had those versions!) The tapes could then have been used on R1 by David Symonds and Saturday Club and on WS by Top of the Pops complete with BM’s introduction.

IIRC it was normal practice for a BBC music session to be used by more than one programme. The contract for the recording would have specified what use could be made of the performance. So there will be the original recording date followed by various subsequent transmission dates. Easy for date confusion to creep in.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 pm

I once was involved in one of those Maida Vale sessions whilst I was with Dave Berry. We recorded five titles and they were played on every show on Radio 1 during the daytime with whoever the DJ was at that time. I remember Jimmy Young an Tony Blackburn were two of them, perhaps Dave Symonds & Johnnie Walker too, it was1971.
It was quite strange one day when we were shopping in a boutique in Sunderland, hearing us come on the radio, as shops used to have radio one playing in those days. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby UlrichS » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 pm

martcaster wrote:Reading this thread with great interest. Chris J had a reel to reel recording of a (Saturday Club?) broadcast featuring N/N/Nights, Lara's Theme, Snap Crackle &H/Y/Dad . Happy to be corrected, of course, but I have it in mind that the 'host' was Keith Skues. The r-t-r tape still exists AFAIK amongst many gems in Chris's collection. We can only hope it will see the light of day in due course.
Mart.

Hi Martin,
You are right with Keith Skues hosting Saturday Club #480 on 16. December 1967 featuring the Shadows with Lara's Theme, Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad. However, as the third tune I could only find The Wild Roses and not Naughty Nippon Nights. My sources say that NNN was first aired on 20. February 1968 in the Dave Symonds Show.
It would be great if you would have the chance to listen to the tape again to confirm.
Best wishes,
Ulrich
UlrichS

Previous

Return to The Shadows