Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bruce in Daily Mirror

Postby howarddobson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:13 pm

howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Re: Bruce in Daily Mirror

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Just been reading this myself. Several photos, mostly old but at least one new one. Also, an interesting quote from Bruce which seems to confirm what we all suspected...

After several “final” tours, he says The Shadows have laid down their guitars.

“They’re finished now,” he says. “We’ve done. I’m 78. We wouldn’t get insured. On the last tour, 10 years ago, we had to take two medics on the tour to get insurance.”
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby howarddobson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:11 pm

Yes - he’s said that a few times as I heard it on one of the recent radio interviews.

But surely it’s no to final tours. They’re all active and a final album would be possible. Hank releases albums, Brian seems to have several projects on the go. It can’t be more work to make it a Shads album next time. Could even be half new tracks half old like Cliff’s Two’s Company. 30 years since the last one as the Shads.
howarddobson

Postby Teflon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:40 pm

A final album would be nice, but I can't help thinking "why would they want to?" At 78 + (I think Brian is 80 next year) I'm sure we would all agree they've earned the right to indulge themselves and concentrate their remaining efforts on their pet projects.

I'm just so grateful I was fortunate enough to see them live, as well as attend one of the "Re-united" concerts. Over the years I have seen many big name bands, including Dire Straits and the Who, but the Reunited concert topped them all - fantastic! :D

Sad to see that phrase "They’re finished now," in cold, hard print, but all things have to end, and at least they've finished on their own terms. Who'd have thought that 60 years after starting out, they would still be popular, with a plethora of active clubs all around the world. As Bruce said in the article, "That’s not bad for a little rock ’n’ roll band from the fifties".

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Kawarthabass » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Thank goodness the Shadows left us so many recordings to enjoy. I still play my P-bass to several of their instrumentals for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I also play upright bass in a bluegrass band but at 75 I'm not sure how long that will last. Also a cancer survivor.

I hope Bruce (who I met in Toronto many years ago) and the rest of the Shadows are enjoying retirement. They have provided all of us with some great music over the years.

Anyone know if Alan Jones is still playing?

Happy New Year from Canada. :)
Kawarthabass

Full Real Name: Martin Chapman

Postby howarddobson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:27 pm

Cliff must get insurance and he’s a « much older man «  according to their interviews :)

Same for Rolling Stones and they’ve had plenty of issues between them.

I think the insurance comment is more of an aside - and there must be medics on every big tour.

If they did make a new album it would definitely be top 5 given all of Hank’s are top 10.
howarddobson

Postby petercreasey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:10 am

Kawarthabass wrote:Thank goodness the Shadows left us so many recordings to enjoy. I still play my P-bass to several of their instrumentals for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I also play upright bass in a bluegrass band but at 75 I'm not sure how long that will last. Also a cancer survivor.

I hope Bruce (who I met in Toronto many years ago) and the rest of the Shadows are enjoying retirement. They have provided all of us with some great music over the years.

Happy New Year Martin,
Yes Alan is still playing, he now lives in South Yorkshire and is still a very outstanding bass player
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 pm

Brian is 80 next month, Cliff 80 in October and Hank and Bruce hit 79 at the end of the year.

Macca is 76 in June and Ringo 80 in July. Also Charlie Watts will be 79 and Bill Wyman 84.

Makes you feel ancient when you can remember this lot as fresh-faced young lads.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Kawarthabass » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:39 am

petercreasey wrote:
Kawarthabass wrote:Thank goodness the Shadows left us so many recordings to enjoy. I still play my P-bass to several of their instrumentals for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Happy New Year Martin,
Yes Alan is still playing, he now lives in South Yorkshire and is still a very outstanding bass player
Take care

Peter: OK. Thanks for the information.
I love his playing. He was a perfect fit for the Shadows original instrumentals..... and the 80's sound.
Kawarthabass

Full Real Name: Martin Chapman

Postby iefje » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 am

Uncle Fiesta wrote:Macca is 76 in June and Ringo 80 in July.

I think you will find that Paul McCartney will be 78 in June of this year.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows