Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Postby bor64 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Andrew,

In the early 80's Hank switch from Vox(Bruce too) to Mesa Boogie MKIIc because all the Vox amps they got from Rose Morris quit on rehearsal.
For his solo tours Hank tried some Dennis Cornnell prototypes amps and used the Matchless DC30 for all other gigs.
Then he used the KCP HM amp and also on the 2004 shads tour, in 2005 he started with The PInnacle amp all 3 samples went belly up.
On that night he lent a Fender Twin Reverb amp, and ask a member of the staff to get some Matchless amps...so he got 2 Amp heads and use the pinnacle cab on stage.
On the 2009 tour he used JMI AC30 clones and all had problems at first, thanks to Charlie Hall they could use them after all...he fixed the speaker wires(all where soldered the wrong way around).

Hope this cleared things a little.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Shadsguy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 pm

Great to hear your info about amplifier problems that Hank and The Shadows experienced on tour I didn't realise they had so much bad luck regarding amplifiers
What a stage show Hank gave us over the years though first class who would have liked to hear Theme from Shane/Theme from Giant live on stage
My top favourite song was Spring Is Nearly Here from Out Of The Shadows album in 1962
I enjoyed hearing The sound of silence Hard day's night and Goldfinger from the 2000 tour All the Holly tracks from the 1997 tour Phantom Of The Opera Sacha Peace pipe and Gonzales from the 1998 tour
Shadsguy

Full Real Name: Gavin Ankers

Postby Moderne » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:31 pm

I remember an amp packing up when I saw Bruce's Moonlight Shadows in Leamington Spa. Bruce asked, "Is there an amp doctor in the house?"!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 15, 2022 1:25 am

Fenderman wrote:I think Hank himself was unhappy with the KCP amp and ditched it after the tour.

Not true, Hank told EFTP that they no longer needed the KCP amps after the 2004 tour, so they were returned to Peter Alden who sold them on. The following year, Peter Alden was approached about the amps but the KCPs had gone, so they used the newly built Pinnacle instead.The Pinnacle amps overheated due to a small detail that had been overlooked, so Fender, then Matchless heads replaced them for the remainder of the 2005 tour. The Pinnacles that had been sold were all recalled and modified by Charlie Hall, correcting the overheating problem. I still have a Pinnacle and it's a great amp.
Fenderman
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby bazmusicman » Sun May 15, 2022 1:23 pm

dave robinson wrote:
Fenderman wrote:I think Hank himself was unhappy with the KCP amp and ditched it after the tour.

Not true, Hank told EFTP that they no longer needed the KCP amps after the 2004 tour, so they were returned to Peter Alden who sold them on. The following year, Peter Alden was approached about the amps but the KCPs had gone, so they used the newly built Pinnacle instead.The Pinnacle amps overheated due to a small detail that had been overlooked, so Fender, then Matchless heads replaced them for the remainder of the 2005 tour. The Pinnacles that had been sold were all recalled and modified by Charlie Hall, correcting the overheating problem. I still have a Pinnacle and it's a great amp.
Fenderman

I was at Charlie Hall's house when he had about 4 of the repaired Pinnacles in his living room (all as new in their boxes) he asked me if I would like to buy one, but I had too many amps at the time, so I declined. Perhaps it might have been a good investment?

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby andykombi » Sun May 15, 2022 9:44 pm

Am I right thinking that matchless are American amps ? Did hank have a choice in what he could use on stage ?
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 16, 2022 2:57 am

andykombi wrote:Am I right thinking that matchless are American amps ? Did hank have a choice in what he could use on stage ?

The Matchless DC30 is a Vox AC30 made properly originally by Mark Sampson in the USA. Vox turned out some poor stuff around the time of the failures that The Shadows experienced and It was said that Hank vowed never to use them again.
On the 2009 Cliff/Shadows Reunion tour, similar looking amps to the Vox were used, but these were copies made by JMI in Doncaster and originally built by Steve Giles who quit the firm after experiencing some dodgy dealings that he was against. Can't really say too much about it but the phrase 'people being shafted' comes to mind. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed May 18, 2022 11:37 am

Moderator’s note
I have removed some material which appeared to go off topic
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon